• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

One for Mickey!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
and for anyone else who remembers what a Tandy 1000SL was ...

Does your checkbook go "beep" when you open it?

memories, memories

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
HA! I left Radio Shack about ten years earlier - computers weren't quite there yet. Still a proper audio/hobbyist store, but the tide was just starting to turn.

Oh, and "Dave" looks and sounds just like a lot of the sales force of those times. :smirk:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Funny!

By '89 I had a hand-me-down DUAL 5.25" floppy drives in an Epson QX-16 with the 8088. And DOS 2.11, IIRC. Came with CPM-80 and Valdocs too but I opted to concentrate on the MS stuff.

By 1993 I was building AMD 486-66 machines, Three sold to finance one for US! WOOHOO!!! It became a crude (by today's standards) animation platform for Herself to produce digital artworks for clients. We published a monthly 16 page newstab "community" paper with that, too.

Amazing how far we've come with these infernal things. :smirk:

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I still have my Amstrad somewhere in the basement. It was a 8088 with 2 5.25" drives but I did upgrade it to a 30 Meg Hard card. Was told that would be all the storage that I would ever need. A 9 Pin dot matrices printer.
My second desk top was a 286 with Dos 3.0 that had been built for a customer. It would not run a game he had so I bought it for cost I put together all my desktops. At one point I was doing some video editing so I needed a very specific set of components in my desktop. It was just school video but I could make them a bit more watchable by cutting out the long boring bits.
It is truly amazing how far things have come

David