• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pay attention to what you are doing when cooking.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
As it is real cold here in Georgia. Cold enough for us to close the schools due to a massive snow fall. About 1"

Decided to do Chili. Got the red beans soaking over night. Mid morning I start with the ground beef the onions then measure out the spices. It all goes in the pot and is bubbling away nicely. Add the tomatoes and some stock. Without giving it a second thought I add the beans only to realize I have not boiled the beans. They have been soaked but not boiled so they are still hard.
So I had to sort through the chili to find all the beans. Hope I got them all.

The Snow got me off track.

Turned out good and have not found any hard beans yet.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm jealous!

...gotta whip up a good Navy bean soup tomorrow!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I made chili the other night myself. I don't tend to put beans in my chili, but tonight I'll probably start soaking some beans for dinner tomorrow.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Beans in chili? Blasphemy! A curse upon the palate!

Real chili (Texas chili ...) has no beans! (or tomatoes!)

large_Texas-roadhouse-Chili.jpg

That, gentlemen, is a real bowl o' red.

I've also seen macaroni added to chili. Cook must be from another planet .

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
My wife does put red kidney beans in her chili and, while it may not qualify as "real Texas chili" it is nevertheless very good. In fact, she won 1st place is a base-wide chili cookout a few years ago.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I must ask the Texan members forgiveness but it is a British recipe for Chili Con Carne not the traditional Texan recipe. It is still good.
Chili.jpg

I remembered a long time ago a nationally recognized cook published a slow cooker chili recipe. Some time later they had to publish a correction as they had not made it very clear that the Red Kidney Beans must be boiled first before adding to the slow cooker. There were a number of people that were made very sick.
That is why I wanted to remove all the uncooked beans.

David
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...ooked-red-kidney-beans-poisonous-1069434.html

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
David, no need to apologize, Texans get pretty uppity about things they slap the appellation "Texas" on.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
They have never even admitted that the proper name of their state is Baja Oklahoma.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
They have never even admitted that the proper name of their state is Baja Oklahoma.

Spelling mistake. Should be "Bah, Oklahoma". :jester:

As an Oklahoma friend tells me, how do you get to Texas? You walk toward the smell, then stop when you've stepped in it.

Tom M.
(born in Texas, 1948)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That's absolutely true Tom. About the smell not about bah, Oklahoma.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I lived and worked in Lubbock Texas, it was a nice town, but if the wind got in the wrong direction, the smell from the stock yards would kill you! :rolleyes2: :pukeface: