• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wow, I didn't know this - more than the Manhattan Project!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
For 7 years of my young life as an Airman, I was a maintenance man on the NORAD SAGE Computer System (IBM Q-7). Well, yesterday I had a nice conversation with an old Master Sergeant that I used to work with at the 24th NORAD Region in Great Falls, MT back in the 70s. Mike is now in his 80s and long since retired. I had looked him up to inform him that another former co-worker who is still in Great Falls just had to have a leg amputated due to circulation problems.

As we were talking and reminiscing about the good old days, he told me that he and another Msgt who was also retired but still living in the area were invited to the final shut down of the old NORAD SAGE Computer at Malmstrom AFB (circa 1980-ish). Turns out Mike had the distinct honor of pushing the button that shut down the power from the SAGE computer for the last time. The old "block house" that housed the SAGE System is still there but has been turned in to offices.

This conversation caused me to do some searching on the internet about the SAGE system and, while on the Lincoln Labs/MIT site, I learned something I did not know:

The scope of the SAGE Air Defense System, as it evolved from its inception in 1951 to its full deployment in 1963, was enormous. The cost of the project, both in funding and the number of military, civilian, and contractor personnel involved, exceeded that of the Manhattan Project.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Amazing how projects grow in size, starting with a little project for a bomb and then having to defend against it.