• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Front Coil Spring Packing Piece

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
This is an old subject, but I believe the consensus here is that the "long" coil spring can by used with no packing piece, correct? MOSS shows an unavailable packing piece, Part 117, above the coil spring, but my other TR does not have such a piece. Any info on that issue? Do I need to use one?

Packing Piece.jpg

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you have the long springs do not use the packing piece on a TR4A. If reusing short springs use the packing piece. Or get some TR6 springs (which I believe are the only ones now available as replacements). You can also buy GoodParts springs which will lower the car some and or buy his spacers that go with his springs to adjust ride height. If you use his front lowering springs only (with no spacers) you will have difficulty adjusting the camber without some modification to the upper A-Arms or the inner mounting (Item 1) to move it outward to compensate for the shorter springs and too much negative camber. Visualize those airbag guys who slam their cars to the ground and end up with excessive negative camber.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
My new springs are 10.25" long; most literature I find seems to say "no spacer" with 11" springs, but that's .75 inches longer than what I have. I'm leaning toward just using the springs with no spacer because I recall one of the Big 3 telling me that would be fine. Did I perhaps not get the right message?

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Who supplied you the new springs? I think I still have a set of original non spacer TR4A springs in a box somewhere that I can measure but it will be the weekend before I can get to them. If 11" is correct and yours are 10.25" either they are the wrong springs or you have the performance ones that will lower your car. You will have the camber issues I mentioned above with the 10.25 springs, again if 11" is the correct stock spring length.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The old stock rear springs out of my 4A measure 11 1/4". The front springs measure about 9 1/2".

Last edited:

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Do not forget spring rate as this will also affect your ride height and ride comfort.
Commonly available ranging from 300 to 450 lb/in.

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi

I have some notes on this which may or may not help

Stock TR4A came with long springs (10 ¼” unfitted).
Stock TR4 came with short springs (9 ½” unfitted).

Aluminum spacer/Packing piece came thick or thin accordingly. I appear to have a 1" packing piece but don't know what that means.
Stock spring rate is 312 lb/in

My car is a 1966 TR4A and I believe the suspension is completely stock original. With 15" wire wheels and 165/80-15 tires at 35psi, ride height from ground to lip of front fender is 28 1/4". Visually, I think it looks high. Someday I would like to pull my front springs and measure the unfitted length

Bob

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I wonder if you could take a quick look under the "hood" of those coil spring turrets to see if you have one inch aluminum spacer up there? I do on one car, but not another. Too big a hassle? Maybe? If you can, I'd really appreciate it. thx

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
10.25" sounds right to me... but I do not have any reference to back up this "gut feel".

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just measured the front springs I took out of my TR4A. They are 10.25 long so those 11 inch ones are not correct. They may be rear springs which are longer. Can't measure mine as I gave them away.