• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Remember the good old days of 1200 baud modems?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I remember when I got my USRobotics 16000 baud modem and I thought it was blazing fast!

dialup speed.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
That's funny! :highly_amused: PJ

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Or 300 baud!

dklawson

Yoda
300 baud... the audio/acoustic coupler. I remember them well.

hqdefault.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ah yes, the good old days that never were! Somewhere up in the attic, I've got an actual 110 baud modem, similar to this
15modem110baudtop.jpg

But I gave away the Morrow Decision computer that went with it. "Full up" 64K memory, 5Mb hard drive, and a 360K floppy. All state-of-the-art home computer at one time.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I got y'all beat my first modem was a 28.8K modem, it really was blazing fast.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I wish I still had my little Sinclair computer.... I actually learned a lot from using it.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
When I first went to work for United Computing (national time sharing) and being the "new kid" I got the portable terminal, a Teletype model 33 with paper tape reader. It fit neatly in a large suitcase but the 300 baud acoustic coupler did not. I had to carry it separately. Man those were the days.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
When I first went to work for United Computing (national time sharing) and being the "new kid" I got the portable terminal, a Teletype model 33 with paper tape reader. It fit neatly in a large suitcase but the 300 baud acoustic coupler did not. I had to carry it separately. Man those were the days.
Wow, hard to imagine an ASR 33 being portable! The non-portable ones we had must've weighed close to 80 pounds each.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure they only ran at 10 cps. Were the later models faster?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It was 10 cps. And having to lug that thing around to customer sites, it felt more like 180 pounds. I got lucky though. After only a couple of months they hired another "new guy" and I passed the "portable" to him. The suitcase did have wheels.