• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Corsair Restoration - Vultures Row Aviation

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My Friend Rob sent this link to me.This is where he works.
He's the guy in the Blue shirt.Very cool!
The place is called Vultures Row Aviation.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Nope, me neither. :frown:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Let me try

Not sure how you posted originally, but for future reference, you need to click the little filmstrip in the editor, then paste the URL of the youtube video into that field. You also need to delete the "s" from the https: in the url or it won't work. If you try to post the Youtube video any other way it probably won't work.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Let me try

Not sure how you posted originally, but for future reference, you need to click the little filmstrip in the editor, then paste the URL of the youtube video into that field. You also need to delete the "s" from the https: in the url or it won't work. If you try to post the Youtube video any other way it probably won't work.

PS: Nothing short of amazing - and that they did this on a large scale back in the 40's when we didn't have CAD - just a remarkable feat.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just watched it's first flight, the aircraft preformed well, but the camera man needs a bit more training, couldn't even keep the aircraft in the frame, kept loosing it. So much for cheap help! :single_eye: PJ

Back in the 50s, I worked on those Corsairs in Norman Oklahoma, that's where I fell in love with them. One tough aircraft! :encouragement:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Just watched it's first flight, the aircraft preformed well, but the camera man needs a bit more training, couldn't even keep the aircraft in the frame, kept loosing it. So much for cheap help! :single_eye: PJ

Back in the 50s, I worked on those Corsairs in Norman Oklahoma, that's where I fell in love with them. One tough aircraft! :encouragement:

That's cool that you had the opportunity to work on such an amazing aircraft, Paul!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Believe it or not, I had the engine serial numbers and Navy registration numbers written down and saved them for years, but over the course of time they were lost during a move. We did have F4U-1As 2nd in line with 3 bladed props, the F4U-4s had 4 bladed props and 2200+ hp. I think my memory serves me right, never know anymore! :rolleyes: PJ

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks for correcting that - don't know why it wouldn't take.
I also have my Dad's Lindberg 1/4 scale plastic kit (unbuilt),that I'll
probably send to Rob,as it would mean more to them than me,as I'll
never build it.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
They were built in CT during the war. They still fly a few each year at Bridgeport Airport- BDR. I understand if you don't use extreme right rudder on takeoff they will flip upside down due to propellor torque.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for posting, the Corsair is a gorgeous aircraft and an awesome fighter. I seem to recall that one even shot down a Soviet MIG jet during the Korean war.

There was a decrepit old war surplus Corsair in the park not far from me when we were growing up. It left quite an impression and in hindsight I don't think we were supposed to crawl on it like it was playground equipment, but of course we still did.

War surplus tanks and planes were all over in parks in the Midwest when I was growing up. I suppose they were removed when the local park board or town council decided they were dangerous (see prior comment about climbing, etc.) I assume many if not most all were scrapped. Too bad, as I am sure many parts which could be used for the restorations going on today were lost.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
They were built in CT during the war. They still fly a few each year at Bridgeport Airport- BDR. I understand if you don't use extreme right rudder on takeoff they will flip upside down due to propellor torque.
Same as a P-51, you never fire-walled them below a certain airspeed, only wing tips if your lucky, if not, on your back. The F4U 1-A's with, (testing memory again) 1200 HP weren't bad, but the F4U-4's with over 2000 HP would torque-over in a flash.
Here's a F4U-1D three blade, what we had.
View attachment 52048
And this is a F4U-4 and lasted through WW-IIs end, a few were used in Korea. Notice the lower lip on the cowl, a signature of a 4.
View attachment 52049

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Following on Paul's Corsair description, rotary (not radial) engine aircraft of WW1 were notoriously difficult to control, especially at takeoff. The entire rotary engine itself is spinning, so there's a tremendous "gyroscopic" effect. As you reach Vr (lift off) speed, pull the yoke back, lift the nose - and the entire aircraft begins to rotate in the opposite direction as the engine is turning. Many young pilots died on their first solo training flight, not being prepared to mash that pedal to counteract the gyro tendency. A similar problem occurs on many other aircraft (P factor), but the rotary engine was much worse.

Watch how this Sopwith Camel tries to roll each time the pilot revs the rotary engine:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I think it was in the late 60s, I took my wife and a friend of hers up to Cole Palens air field somewhere in upstate NY. He had quite a few of old war birds, one was an airworthy Spad from the High Hat squadron. We look at those aircraft to day and say, those guys had guts to fly in those crates! But that's all they had to fly and at the time, they were modern aircraft. I compared the construction of the Spad to my old Stearman and the Stearman was built like a truck, but many years later as in other military aircraft of the time. We've sure come a long way! :encouragement:

Last edited:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - that was the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome up in Red Hook, NY. Still exists. Cole Palen started that with WW1 aircraft he got when Roosevelt Field was closed in 1951 - SPAD XIII, Avro 504K, Curtiss Jenny, Standard J1, Aeromarine 39B, and Sopwith Snipe.

https://oldrhinebeck.org/

1200596.jpg

Want to take a ride?

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Great video. I have a soft spot for the Corsair, as that was the last plane my grandad worked on before getting out of the Navy in the fifties.

Paul, Somewhere I have a tool for removing the cowling. You might have worked on some of the same planes as my granddad.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Zeus key Walter? I had a few of them, might still be a couple laying around somewhere. There were different size fasteners and a good key would fit 4 or 5 of them. Probably a couple of those keys are out in the Atlantic somewhere! Maybe some historical diver will find one someday and say what in the world is this thing? :highly_amused: PJ

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Paul - that was the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome up in Red Hook, NY. Still exists. Cole Palen started that with WW1 aircraft he got when Roosevelt Field was closed in 1951 - SPAD XIII, Avro 504K, Curtiss Jenny, Standard J1, Aeromarine 39B, and Sopwith Snipe.

https://oldrhinebeck.org/

View attachment 52051

Want to take a ride?

Old Rhinebeck, Thanks Tom, For some reason I missed your post, but I did forget the name of the place. Now remembering, It really took you back in time, great their still there.:encouragement: PJ