Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy Crap! False Alarm

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Holy Crap! False Alarm

Holy cow - My Sister-in-Law and her friend are in Hawaii on vacation and just had to take cover due to a false alarm that had the people of Hawaii believing they were under nuclear attack! Scared the crap out of her!
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.."
    -- William Arthur Ward

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: Holy Crap! False Alarm

I can only imagine,given what's going on in the World today.
    Just Remember.......
    NOBODY ever says "COOL PRIUS!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I have a sister that lives on the Big Island and they were in shock for about 15 minutes. Seems somebody pushed a wrong button.

oops.jpg
    - Mark

Former 1956 Austin Healey 100-4 (BN2)
    Former 1962 Mk1 Austin Mini 850
    Former 1973 Austin Mini (really a 1980s Cooperized Mini)
    Present 1959 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite (with 1275, 5 speed, and discs)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

A bit un-nerving that Hawaii Emergency Management Agency's "incoming missile" alert messages go out, when just one person pushes a button during a shift change. No confirmation order before pushing the button? No time-delay? Someone could even accidentally drop a book on the keyboard (or phone) and a state-wide alert just "happens"?

And almost 40 minutes before the warning was rescinded? Sure hope there was no US military involvement.

yeesh
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegCT View Post
    A bit un-nerving that Hawaii Emergency Management Agency's "incoming missile" alert messages go out, when just one person pushes a button during a shift change. No confirmation order before pushing the button? No time-delay? Someone could even accidentally drop a book on the keyboard (or phone) and a state-wide alert just "happens"?

And almost 40 minutes before the warning was rescinded? Sure hope there was no US military involvement.

yeesh
    all good questions, but, seriously, a book? who brings a book to the emrgency management agency - what is a book anyway? a phone? a coffee?
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit View Post
    all good questions, but, seriously, a book? who brings a book to the emrgency management agency - what is a book anyway? a phone? a coffee?
    I'd say their system needs some improvement. How's that for an understatement!
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.."
    -- William Arthur Ward

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yikes! A trial run! It will be useful to know exactly what the inhabitants, including govt agencies, did upon receiving the alert [aside from swearing a blue streak, voiding their insides and BOAKTAG].
    A wise man knows he knows not. Lao Tsu

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

As an aside, but a somewhat related topic, you may have heard of the >> North Warning System, << which replaced the aging "DEW Line" radar system to provide early warning of any airborne threats from over the pole. Back in the day, when I was a young Radar Engineer at the 1954th Radar Evaluation Squadron, Hill AFB. Utah, I was assigned to be part of a team (one of three teams) who surveyed locations for the radar systems that would comprise the NWS. One team was responsible for determining the locations of sites in northern Alaska, another team surveyed all across the length of the North West Territories and the third team (mine) surveyed locations along the coast of Baffin Island and Labrador, as far north as the Arctic Circle (Cape Dyer). Each team consisted of a radar evaluation engineer (like me), as well as experts from the US Army's Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory (CRREL). We also had Canadian military logistics experts as part of the team. We flew all over different mountain tops on Baffin Island and Labrador in a contracted Canadian Bell helicopter and surveyed dozens of potential sites.

My job in this endeavor was to look at all the many sites we surveyed from an operational radar coverage perspective and determine which sites would be best for placing the new radar systems in order to provide the best over-all coverage. We surveyed the terrain from each mountain top - to include all intermediate terrain between the site and the horizon in a 360 degree pattern. Then, when I returned to Hill AFB, I took all that data and created radar coverage maps that showed where the "holes" in coverage were, then I determined which set of sites, in combination, provided the best overall coverage. I had to compile a report of my findings and recommendations. I then briefed both the US and Canadian military (briefing was conducted at the North Warning System Office in Ottawa) on my recommendations of where they should place the radar sites to maximize coverage. Of course accessibility to the sites and logistics concerns, etc., were also part of the equation. Here are a few pics of that most memorable 3-month trip.

Baffin Island-0057.jpg
    On the C-130 flying from Hanscom AFB (Mass) to first staging base, Cape Dyer, Baffin Island

Baffin Island-0701.jpg
    Somewhere over Baffin Island - not a place to be in winter

Baffin Island-0703.jpg
    Twin Otter we used to fly from one staging camp to another. This was Brevoort Island I think.

Baffin Island-0702.jpg
    Ice pack as seen from Twin Otter

Baffin Island-0709.jpg
    Ed Pruss (left) was our helicopter pilot. He was great nephew of Capt Max Pruss of Hindenberg fame (no kidding)

Baffin Island-0698.jpg

Crash site found during our surveys - Norther Labrador I think.

Baffin Island-0712.jpg
    Breevort - contracted with oil company to stay here as one of our 4 staging bases.

Baffin Island-0697.jpg
    The "facilities" at Brevoort. Nothing like sitting on a freezing cold wooden seat!

Baffin Island-0710.jpg
    Gordon - a team member and cold region expert from CRREL in New Hampshire

Baffin Island-0706.jpgNain, the northern most permanent settlement in Labrador. We stayed in the "Nain Hotel" - a double wide trailer.

Baffin Island-0700.jpg
    Yes, that's me - on the job on some mountain top on Baffin Island, I think.

-- William Arthur Ward

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a splendid adventure you had. Thank you for your efforts. My traffic controller friend in Honolulu said that they just kept on keeping on and did nothing different except for mentally saying goodbye to friends and relatives. Air traffic control lies in a hardened bunker with filtered air. They assume that any missle sent would be aimed at them anyhow. Were he at home he indicated that there is not much to be done save fill the bath with water, tape the windows and vents and set a bottle of rum by the chair
    Last edited by elrey; 01-14-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: He seemed to be somewhat rattled still, perhaps in part because I forgot about the time zone effect. Oops!
    A wise man knows he knows not. Lao Tsu

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elrey View Post
    What a splendid adventure you had. Thank you for your efforts. My traffic controller friend in Honolulu said that they just kept on keeping on and did nothing different except for mentally saying goodbye to friends and relatives. Air traffic control lies in a hardened bunker with filtered air. They assume that any missle sent would be aimed at them anyhow. Were he at home he indicated that there is not much to be done save fill the bath with water, tape the windows and vents and set a bottle of rum by the chair
    It was a very fun trip. I only wish I had been more into photography back then instead of just having an el-cheapo camera.

As for your friends. it's Hawaii - he could always mix a batch of Mai Tais
    -- William Arthur Ward

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

LOL - love it.

"Alexa - Please tell people to use their brains."

Alexa: "I'm sorry Dave. I can't do that. They've forgotten how."

Edit: oops.

Well, it's the thought that counts.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Basil
    "which replaced the aging "DEW Line" radar system". My father-in-law surveyed the DEW Line. It was the great adventure of his youth! You were following his footsteps!
    Paul
    1949 TR 2000 roadster
    1960 MG MGA
    1-1959 AN5L/9477 AH Bugeye Sprite
    1- 1958 Triumph TR3 TS 28115

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apbos View Post
    Basil
    "which replaced the aging "DEW Line" radar system". My father-in-law surveyed the DEW Line. It was the great adventure of his youth! You were following his footsteps!
    Paul
    How cool is that! I imagine I visited some of the same places since some of the original DEW Line sites were re-purposed as NWS sites.
    -- William Arthur Ward

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Basil
    Sadly David "Zane" MacInnis passed in 2016. But his wife and three daughters stilll recall those stories he told of his time in the Canadian North. I'm sure you were in the same sites.
    P
    1949 TR 2000 roadster
    1960 MG MGA
    1-1959 AN5L/9477 AH Bugeye Sprite
    1- 1958 Triumph TR3 TS 28115

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apbos View Post
    Basil
    Sadly David "Zane" MacInnis passed in 2016. But his wife and three daughters stilll recall those stories he told of his time in the Canadian North. I'm sure you were in the same sites.
    P
    Very possible. Most of my work was alone the north east coast of Labrador and Baffin Island. We had another team doing surveys along the northern part of Canada proper and yet a 3rd team in Northern Alaska and parts of north western Canada.
    -- William Arthur Ward

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

In my last church I had a parishioner who had been (I understand) second in command to J Edgar Hoover. By then he was into advanced Alzheimers but could remember his connection with the DEW line - and I remembered enough from my military time for us to discuss it - a very special conversation.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

In my last church I had a parishioner who had been (I understand) second in command to J Edgar Hoover. By then he was into advanced Alzheimers but could remember his connection with the DEW line - and I remembered enough from my military time for us to discuss it - a very special conversation.
    In addition to the "DEW" Line (Distant Early Warning) which was waaaaay up north, there was also the Mid-Canada line of radars and then the "Pine Tree" line that ran along much of the western US-Canadian boarder, then into Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. I once conducted a radar evaluation/optimization of the radar at CFS Barrington, NS. Now THAT was a beautiful place!

Much of the data form these radars fed the NORAD SAGE system, for which I was a maintenance man back in the 70s.
    -- William Arthur Ward

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Nasty bit of business, that. Warning systems will be re-evaluated now.
    '64 MGB, '67 Lotus Elan S-3 DHC,'69 Lotus Elan +2
    '78 Alfa Romeo Spider-undergoing surgery: O=\*/=O
    '84 300D Turbo-"Diesela"-Now my Daily: Oo|≣|oO
    '02 Toyota Camry- SWMBO's 'new-to-her' Daily. <sigh>
    Chaos & Mayhem PTY, LTD..C.I.O. & Floor Sweepervisor

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrEntropy View Post
    Nasty bit of business, that. Warning systems will be re-evaluated now.
    For 38 minutes, my sister-in-law, who is there eon vacation, thought she was about to be a crispy critter.
    -- William Arthur Ward

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Not much else to think, under those circumstances!
    '64 MGB, '67 Lotus Elan S-3 DHC,'69 Lotus Elan +2
    '78 Alfa Romeo Spider-undergoing surgery: O=\*/=O
    '84 300D Turbo-"Diesela"-Now my Daily: Oo|≣|oO
    '02 Toyota Camry- SWMBO's 'new-to-her' Daily. <sigh>
    Chaos & Mayhem PTY, LTD..C.I.O. & Floor Sweepervisor