Thread: On those old original coils

Obi Wan
    Chats

On those old original coils

On those old original coils they had that wood screw kinda deal that went into the high voltage chamber. Can that be removed and cleaned without damaging anything, like letting the oil out? I just cannot visualize what that screw goes into and what a good way to seal it up would be when removed. Or if a guy should just leave it alone and clean the top of the screw with a shape screw driver and call that good.
    steve

Chats

Re: On those old original coils

I assume it is soldered to the tiny high tension coil wire underneath...so, like you, I didn't want to mess with it. Not for fear of oil loss, but more because those wires are so tiny to deal with.

In the end, I just used the bead blaster to clean it from the opening available.
    John

1955 TR2

Obi Wan
    Chats

Re: On those old original coils

Good call with the bead blaster John, I must be getting old I forget sometimes about the bead blaster; heck years ago that was my best go to tool. I must admit, many years ago I pulled a screw out and put it back in with some Indian head gasket sealer and everything worked out fine, but I just do not trust taking one out. This time I have the original coli with lettering I think CB and SW or something and I am a little more causes. Thanks again good call.