• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Of bits 'n bytes

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A pal of decades and a computer savvy chap, fellow pro photog, got himself a laptop with a 500G 7200RPM scratch drive and an SSD 350G secondary. He decided to get a 500G SSD and switch the C: and D: drive "jobs" to use the spinny one as file storage and the SSD for the O/S and app proggies. Seemed like a good idea. He "ghosted" the O/S from the disc drive to the larger SSD, but Winblows 10 REFUSED to disappear from the SATA 7200 RPM one. He gave up and brought it to me. I spent hours with all sorts of MILSPEC utilities trying to wipe that thing to the state of stupid, finally learned you must use partitioning warez on it first, eliminate the various MS-schemed partitions before it will allow you to "erase" the O/S.

MS Windows: More insidious with every incarnation.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
ਸਾਡੇ ਫੋਰਮ ਦੇ ਮੈਂਬਰ ਬਣਨ ਲਈ ਧੰਨਵਾਦ (yeah that's what I understand of what I just read) :grin:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

NOPE! That was useless. The secondary drive was still seen as having an O/S on it! Had to revert to an external disc drive to boot into Linux and kill the MS stuff with warez from Hades. :devilgrin:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Fdisk SAW the drive but wouldn't do anything with it! Booting to the SSD as the scratch drive, the SATA one had a question mark on it after the fdisk operation, but it could NOT be accessed, and wouldn't "initialize". The MBR for win10 apparently is highly protective of its existence! "Resistance is futile!"

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I just replaced my 5400 HDD with a 1T SSD. Migrated the OS to the SSD and disconnected the HDD. Much faster, of course.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yes indeed faster. This lappy will boot up on the SSD so quickly it's scary.

Last year I put together an i7 machine for a client, as a workstation for designing with CAD warez. 32G RAM, SSD scratch drive... talk about fast!

And that Thing could just about suck the whole server down a CAT-6 cable.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Doc, I believe you need to turn secure boot off in the BIOS which can be a bunch of hoops to jump through. First being a password for the admin and user before secure boot can be touched in the BIOS. Deactivate secure boot, then wipe the UEFI partition. There are certain trusted keys that have to be erased too (and then put back in). I've stumbled through it twice and each mobo was a different.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd made sure secure boot was turned off in the BIOS, removed the SSD so only the SATA drive was in the machine. The Winblows 'Recovery' partition was what was giving me fits on this one. Once that was neutered the disc was wiped and then formatted in NTFS.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I always have trouble with the MSDFT bios when coupled with the 5400 CMOS bias filter, especially when coagulated with the BN7 defragulator. Anyone else have that problem?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I always have trouble with the MSDFT bios when coupled with the 5400 CMOS bias filter, especially when coagulated with the BN7 defragulator. Anyone else have that problem?

Nope - never have that problem, after I finally figured out the fix.

pull_the_plug.jpg

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We use a lot of HMI’s and write code for them to operate our RO machines
we had one fail a while back so they bought one local and we emailed them the operating file to upload
this was a bran d new AB 700
it would not recognize the USB
after a few minutes of talking with asked him what size it was he said 1 gig
told him to go find one that had only a few 100 meg MB of space , getting hard to find one that small anymore
it found it and loaded the file.
i can’t belive that Rockwell -AB is still that for behind one there file - usb size requirements to recognize.
there is no documentation about this snaffu
just luck from the compact flash days

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"i can’t belive that Rockwell -AB is still that for behind "

Probably typical of many many organizations today, I'm afraid. The tech guys recommend the new systems, but once they're in place, who checks the details as the years go by?

Remember the recent Hawaii "missile alert" warning? Hawaii's governor forgot his Twitter password, so couldn't issue a "not true" message for almost 20 minutes. Who'd have ever thought such an important/dangerous situation would result from one employee hitting a single button - all alone - and the Governor forgetting a Twitter password.

Government by Twitter? nah, never happen.

My "tag sale" analogy: just before a tag sale, you see posters stapled on dozens of telephone poles. But after the sale, no one checks that all the posters have been removed.

TM

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
SD Bugeye said:
i can’t belive that Rockwell -AB is still that for behind one there file

Amusing to hear Rockwell is among those who would rater "fight than switch"!

I've come across businesses here with systems so old they have to go "dumpster diving" to find component replacements. The claim is always: "Too expensive to upgrade". I've shrugged and left them to their delusion.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yea I hear you we see it all the time
customers looking to replace bad PC5 and now SLC 500 IO cards crap from 20 years ago
all we can offer is an upgrade or go to EBay
amazing what that stuff goes for on eBay if you can salvage that stuff don’t throw it out the popular cards can fetch 3 times there original value
then there’s the licenses of the runtime software
Big bucks