• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

CentOS 7.4

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I've used Linux Mint for some time now in my desktop and have no trouble with it, but being one to not to set still for long, I decided to install CentOS in the same machine as I've heard that some folks like it. It is a hard system to install as it doesn't do anything for you while installing it, you have to configure everything, even set up the Internet by telling the program where it's at, it won't find it it's self. To me the system is a step back in time. I see no advantage to CentOS over other systems, if there is I haven't found it. Once installed, it takes more moves to get around it than Ubunto or Mint, which to me is much more user friendly. Looks like it's designed more for office file set up than personal use. Needless to say, mint is going back in the machine. I did have this machine set up for duel boot with Windows on one partition, but removed that and let Linux have the whole machine, Windows in 2 lap tops is enough! :nightmare: PJ

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I've used Linux Mint for some time now in my desktop and have no trouble with it, but being one to not to set still for long, I decided to install CentOS in the same machine as I've heard that some folks like it. It is a hard system to install as it doesn't do anything for you while installing it, you have to configure everything, even set up the Internet by telling the program where it's at, it won't find it it's self. To me the system is a step back in time. I see no advantage to CentOS over other systems, if there is I haven't found it. Once installed, it takes more moves to get around it than Ubunto or Mint, which to me is much more user friendly. Looks like it's designed more for office file set up than personal use. Needless to say, mint is going back in the machine. I did have this machine set up for duel boot with Windows on one partition, but removed that and let Linux have the whole machine, Windows in 2 lap tops is enough! :nightmare: PJ

Centos isn't exactly a user-friendly interface and probably not the best choice for consumer-lever OS. CentOS is running on the BCF server - but it's a server and used primarily to "serve" web pages (via Apache).

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have used Mint on my laptop and found it to be very user friendly but currently I am running Fedora and have been very happy with it for the past year, maybe two. Overall I find Linux to be a very solid operating system, something that Windows increasingly is not.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've used Linux Mint for some time now in my desktop and have no trouble with it, but being one to not to set still for long, I decided to install CentOS in the same machine as I've heard that some folks like it. It is a hard system to install as it doesn't do anything for you while installing it, you have to configure everything,
To some people, that's an advantage! Kind of like driving a stick shift instead of an automatic.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I had Fedora years ago, one of the original versions, it was very colorful in it's layout, but went to Mint and have stayed with it for a few years. As Walter said, it is very user friendly and is pretty fast compared to Windows. I'm thinking of getting the latest version of Fedora to try again. I think it's still a free version, but a small fee is fine if needed. I like Linux programs because they don't keep hitting you with upgrades like Microsoft programming. Last Windows upgrade took 3 hrs, downloading, installing and then the computer has to configure the software, takes forever it seems. :wall: PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Oh c'mon - CentOS is a heck of a lot friendlier than cp/m!

<snicker snicker>

cpmscreen.gif

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I was pretty much initiated with DOS, but since 1989 or so, I switched to Windows 3.1 and was fascinated with the colors and ease of getting around. When I bought 3.1 it came on, i think, 13 floppies, no CD. Before that everything was on 5.5 inch floppy's, which my computer at the time had a CD player, 5.5 floppy slot and a 3.5 slot. Quite elaborate for the day. Things have come a long way since those ancient times! :encouragement:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I was pretty much initiated with DOS, but since 1989 or so, I switched to Windows 3.1 and was fascinated with the colors and ease of getting around. When I bought 3.1 it came on, i think, 13 floppies, no CD. Before that everything was on 5.5 inch floppy's, which my computer at the time had a CD player, 5.5 floppy slot and a 3.5 slot. Quite elaborate for the day. Things have come a long way since those ancient times! :encouragement:

Yep, same here

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Oh, C'MON!! CentOS is killer. This post is with a Winblows OS, the next one will be from a Linux CEntOS...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Linux has a coverage over about half the planet. Similar to driving either an automatic transmission or a standard one.

Basil can confirm this post is coming from a Linux box... a CEntOS 5.0 machine, actually.

Mint and Fedora are 'baby steps'.

LINUX!!!

Learn it, like it, LOVE IT!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Only issue is that Adobe and Flash have had some "disagreements" with the open source community (Mozilla). This will not go well for some. The "Pay for Play" scheme may have some backlash not anticipated. We'll see... We're th' "Guinea Pigs" in this equation.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Only issue is that Adobe and Flash have had some "disagreements" with the open source community (Mozilla). This will not go well for some. The "Pay for Play" scheme may have some backlash not anticipated. We'll see... We're th' "Guinea Pigs" in this equation.

Ok Doc, I gave in, I have an older lap top that I put CentOS in and it is running well. Seems like the Dell desktop has a problem with it, oh well. I use Thunderbird for my email, which I downloaded, but how do I activate it, the download shows it installed but no icon came up and I have no idea where it went. LOL! How about a clue? :encouragement: PJ

Oh yeah, I'm on CentOS now.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
WOOHOO!!!

What are you using for a GUI? Hope it's GNOME. How did you install T'bird?

Drill down thru the subdirectories, there should be one for the T'bird install, should be in usr/bin. Then you can copy/paste to the desktop. be prepared for a bit of a search in usr/bin. there are over 2K of links in there!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Doc, Found out that Evolution was the easiest way to get my mail going, pretty much did all the work by it's self. I'll work on the Tbird later. Thanks for the needed help, Going to GNOME did it. :encouragement:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I fully converted to Mint a little over a year ago. It does everything I need except for one program that I have to go back to Windoze for maybe once or twice a year. That is so painful that I can't wait to get back to a real OS. Of course I actually do have to wait since Windoze almost invariably insists on one of those 2 hour updates, you know, "Updating Windows - Don't shut down your computer."

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Have you tried Wine in Linux? Possibly run the Windows program within Linux. Just a thought. PJ

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul, If you'd like a copy of Fedora I can mail you one.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I haven't tried that yet Paul. Installed wine to see if it would let me have write access to the windows partition. It would not so I haven't messed with it since. I'll give that a try, thanks.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I'm using CentOS now on my desktop, seeing what the advantage is over other Op systems, I don't give up easily. We'll see. Problem with it is on my end, it doesn't do anything automatically, typing in commands to accomplish tasks that other programs do basically on their own with simply pushing a button is a little too much. Mint does 90% of this on it"s own. Browser, email, photo programs are available with just a click of the mouse, it's quite a chore to get this done in CentOS, typing in separate commands, after figuring where they go etc. I'll stick with what I know. I am going to try Fedora, I used it years ago and liked it,but somehow got away from it and went to mint. I'll leave CentOS to you guys with more computer skills than me. :encouragement: PJ

Last edited: