• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Lower Control Arm Front Pivot Bolt

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
For a TR4A, if I put a jack under the spring pan, can I remove and replace the pivot bolt holding the control arms together?

I don't like the bolt or the trunnion I now have. I want to replace both. But I don't want to remove the spring and go through all that again.

I suppose that with the spring still in, and with the control arms bolted to the pan, that pivot bolt might be jammed in too tight to slide it out. Or, maybe just slightly loosening the pan fastening bolts would help.

Thoughts? If I just need to remove the spring, I will.

Thanks all.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Smarter folks than I will chime in... but I don't think you can remove the trunnion without unloading the spring.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That bolt is actually a long pin pressed into the trunnion. I know of no way to remove it without removing the pan and lower arms. I have ruined 12 ton presses attempting to remove the pin from the trunnion, although the manual implies it should be relatively loose fitting.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That bolt is actually a long pin pressed into the trunnion. I know of no way to remove it without removing the pan and lower arms. I have ruined 12 ton presses attempting to remove the pin from the trunnion, although the manual implies it should be relatively loose fitting.

On a 4A thru the TR6 that "pin" is a through bolt, not a "pin" as stated above. TR4 back to TR2 it is a "pin".

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jack under the spring pan and lift enough to just lift the car. You should then be able to remove the bolt and the trunnion unless things have corroded together. Assembly is reverse. Shock will keep things together.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I just thought of something. There's no engine or transmission in the car. If I jack under the spring pan, will it still work, or leave it all too tight? Maybe I just take that darn spring pan back off after all?

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You might try a spring compressor in lieu of the shock to relieve the spring pressure. Without the weight of the engine I doubt that jacking under the spring pan will compress the spring.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yeah - if you can get the spring pressure under control, you might be able to use the new bolt to push the old one out. That should keep the two A-arms and trunnion in alignment. If bolt-head orientation (or originality) is a factor, you could tap in another new bolt from the other side.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Spring compressor goes right down the middle of the spring - there is considerable disassembly required to get to it. The frame is not heavy enough to compress the spring... a lot more mass is needed!