• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

the wonders of tinkering - and youtube

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Got up this morning and the microwave was dead - no power no lights, no nothing. Spent five minutes on Youtube - diagnosed a burnt out fuse, $2.00 later and all is well with the world.

I really appreciate that for the sake of a couple of bucks there is a little less landfill and I REALLY appreciate people taking the time to post their experiences and other lessons on Youtube!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Got up this morning and the microwave was dead - no power no lights, no nothing. Spent five minutes on Youtube - diagnosed a burnt out fuse, $2.00 later and all is well with the world.

I really appreciate that for the sake of a couple of bucks there is a little less landfill and I REALLY appreciate people taking the time to post their experiences and other lessons on Youtube!

When the LCD display on my Epson ink jet printed went dark, I thought I was going to have to send it to never never land. But I did some searching on the net and ran across a description on some blog of how to fix this exact issue (which was apparently common). It involved taking the display apart and putting a tiny dab of solder across a tiny fuse link (non replaceable). Basically I shorted the fuse-link which had burned out, but it worked and the printer provided several more years of service until I finally gave it away to charity. Wasn't Youtube, but someone went to a lot of trouble to write up detailed instructions for how to take the display apart and locate the blown fuse link and effect a repair that worked.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I may have spoken too soon - fuse blew again, seems the enxt step is a new capacitor or the interlock switch.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Flux Capacitor? - if so,send it back.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
putting a tiny dab of solder across a tiny fuse link (non replaceable). Basically I shorted the fuse-link which had burned out,
The old penny in the fuse box trick.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
The old penny in the fuse box trick.

Did that once to fix a car radio while on a road trip. 100 miles from home the electrics quit - first the alternator, then the battery was flat... Caveat emptor!

D

Deleted member 8987

I usually do all my own stuff. However, one time we bought extended warranty on the new refrigerator (current).

Door switch for lights went bad. Obvious. Flick the switch and they come on, but not when you just open the door.

Called it in, they sent the switch, service showed up this morning....the "bill" claims $296 to fix it....took 2 minutes and a putty knife.

Had them order another switch under warranty (dies this summer anyway) so I'll have a spare.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yup. Down here in the Lightning Capitol of the World, many a fuseable link got "repaired" with a soldered in link. Replaced magnatrons in microwave ovens and went on for years. Can't see discarding a tool or appliance unless it is more expensive for the parts than a replacement unit. Have repaired washing machine pump bodies with fiberglass, cracked toilet tank with Epoxo-88, pesky ridge vent self-tapping screw, rain dripping RIGHT ON MY HEAD as I typed on the garage computer, using Rustoleum "rubberized" aerosol spray... long list of bodges. MacGyver's got nuttin' on us LBC owners! "Adapt. Innovate. Overcome!"

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
MacGyver's got nuttin' on us LBC owners! "Adapt. Innovate. Overcome!"

Adapt. Innovate. Overcome!

dalek.jpg

oops maybe got a bit carried away - BTW current state of play is one of the microswitches in the door which apparently will blow the fuse if the door doesn't close properly.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
well so far no good - OTOH the microswitch I thought it was - was only $3.00 at the electronic supply store (instead of the $20 the appliance repair store wanted)

onward...

Last edited:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
You are lucky to have an electronic supply store. Our Radio Shack closed a couple of years ago.

David

We have 2 Radio Shacks in Albuquerque. I stop by from time to time when in need of some small electronic bits, solder, etc.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You are lucky to have an electronic supply store. Our Radio Shack closed a couple of years ago.

David

I know!

this is my main go to

https://secure.sayal.com/zinc/index.asp but, there at least three other stores literally in the same strip plaza - each slightly specialized - one stereo/ one TV etc. - just found one closer - not self serve and honestly, imagine an electronics version of the junkyard Anniken Skywalker worked at - I was there this week and there was a '30's radio on the counter with a pile of '70's test equipment - all next to all the "modern" stuff. hysterical.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
These are my "go-to" guys: ADI