• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech fuel line vents in general

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
We have the best forum I know about; I tried joining a Fordtruck forum for some help on my 1966 ½ ton 6 cylinder, but no help yet. Anywaysthe fuel line is plugged from the tank to the pump. I tried blowing air backthrough to clear the line, but the air comes out the over flow. There must besome kind of Y in the line or something for the fuel vent. I had a friend holdhis finger to try and plug the over flow vent, and I could feel there was someback pressure but no flow of fuel. Anybody deal with this problem?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There is NO "Y" in the line between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. When you forced air from the line to the fuel pump did you remove the gas cap and listen for the air to come up through the fuel as bubbles? Hopefully you are using a compressor to do this.
Depending on what year your TR3 is there may either be a rubber hose (later) or a metal connector ( early models) from the line that comes out of the tank to the line that runs along the inner rail of the frame. This joint is just forward of the left rear tire. But that should all be continuous with no place for any fuel or air to go.
My son had a problem like yours with his TR3 and finally found that there was an obstruction in the tank over the tank outlet. It would move around a bit but when the fuel pump tried to suck in fuel it would move over the outlet. It was a paper label. I use locking gas caps on my cars just to make sure nobody has the opportunity to drop anything in there. He had to remove the tank to find it.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry for posting on the Triumph forum for my old Ford truck, but like I said I could not find an answer. I was desperate and totally psychologically and engineeringlly dependent on you guys. I just figured it out on this old truck. The tank feeds from the top and this little rubber hose at the bottom under the door had broken. Heck, I bought this truck in 1975 one owner and have put a couple of engines and trans over the years in it and just assumed the tank feed was at the bottom of the tank with a vent coming out the top like an old British car. I unhooked the presumed vent line at the top of the tank and thought that is odd this is a sealed fitting. Next, I went under the truck and was going to unhook the line that I assumed was on the bottom and could not find one. Then the light came on, and I thought this is a clever idea have the feed at the top of the tank. If the fuel line breaks, the fuel will not run out. Why didn’t Triumph think of this? Old Henry Ford was a smart guy. This fixed a riddle because I was getting poor gas mileage and it was getting hard to start. Fortunately, I only drive it a few times a year.
Peace out steve

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I would assume that having the outlet at the bottom of the tank allows one to have a fuel pump with very little suction to match the very little pressure on the engine side.
Glad you figured out the problem.