• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cautionary Tales

catfood

Jedi Knight
One of the threads on the AH forum has developed into a discussion on cautionary tales. I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone has had (or will admit to) one of those brain fart moments one you do something idiotic that you immediately regret.

Here's mine.

When bench running a model aero engine and attempting to stop it by putting your finger over the throttle intake it is always wise to notice that there is a propellor running at several thousand rpm between your finger and the throttle otherwise it will end badly (it did)

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
One of the threads on the AH forum has developed into a discussion on cautionary tales. I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone has had (or will admit to) one of those brain fart moments one you do something idiotic that you immediately regret.

Here's mine.

When bench running a model aero engine and attempting to stop it by putting your finger over the throttle intake it is always wise to notice that there is a propellor running at several thousand rpm between your finger and the throttle otherwise it will end badly (it did)

Ouch! Hope you're ok! I once got in a hurry and picked up a wheel hub with brake rotor attached. I had the assembly up about chest level to set it on a bench when I learned that I had unscrewed the rotor from the hub and it was at that point it decided to come loose. The hub remained in my hands but the rather heavy rotor landed on my big toe (and of course I was wearing soft sneakers). Lets just say that even my neighbors at the end of the street heard my yelp!

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Three days after being diagnosed with Lyme disease and not being of clear mind. Don’t try and use a single edge razor blade to cut a string. You might pick it up the wrong way and end up with 4 stitches. 4D052D82-620B-4E42-8951-9E85820AB14C.jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And when releasing the hitch ball from your truck,ALWAYS make
sure that your foot isn't under it.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
And, when burning a steel plate, which was setting on a pair of steel sawhorses, make sure you aren't standing close enough for your pants to catch on fire! I wouldn't admit doing this, but just in case you do, it will get awfully hot down there, very quick! :rolleyes2:

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Don't drink and use power tools, it is embarrassing to end up in the emergency room smelling like beer.

D

Deleted member 8987

I remember the first independent shop I worked in. Old Harvey "Fire Wrench". Couldn't work on something without a torch.
One day he got an exhaust system out, clamped in a vise, started torching muffler and sleeve off...except the end of the pie curled up behind him...and caught the seat of his pants on fire....an there we has hopping across the shop floor beating hisself on the a55 with both hands, being chased by two fellow workers holding fire extinguishers..and the rest of us ROFLOFAO.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And the most important tip of all -
Make sure nobody sees you do these stupid things.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
KEEP A SCRUPULOUSLY CLEAN WORK AREA..... It is a beautiful day and I'm feeling right with the world. A bare Healey frame is tilted up on a rolling stand in the center of my shop. I've finished the repairs, and today is the final day of preparation for the primer coat. Life is good... Happy am I, steadily working away with a rolock disk on the die grinder. Safety is paramount so I am wearing an apron, face shield and dust mask sitting in a comfortable position on my rolling stool. A little more grunt was necessary so I reached for my 4 1/2" corded Makita angle grinder with the knotted wire brush, a tool that I had used a zillion times without mishap. Little did I realize that I had inadvertently left a pair of those elastic loops with the 3/4" nylon balls attached lying in wait on the rolling stand [They are used to hold the top and sides on those tent type garages, I had tied the two together ]. Turning the tool on I set to my task calmly and carefully abrading away when... INSTANTLY the spinning wires grabbed the nylon arrangement and set upon the back of my hand at 11000 rpm beating it and the frame unmercifully while I tried to figure what the &!#% was happening and how to stop it. Dropping the tool was out of the question as these tools do not shut off by letting go. A sliding switch must be employed with your free hand and my free hand did not want any trouble by entering the danger zone. I yanked and yanked and yanked at the cord and of course it REFUSED to pull free---CRIMENY!!! It hurt so bad! In absolute agony, wracked with excruciating pain and an attendant concurrent terriifying whacking sound I rolled and twisted my way out from under the frame when the strap of my apron caught itself up in the hateful wheel and seized it to a stop. Thank goodness. And thank goodness for the crushed ice feature on the refrigerator door and the Percodan in my first aid kit. :wall:

Last edited:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Working around the battery of my John Deere lawn tractor, I was wearing my wedding band. I touched the positive terminal and---welded the ring onto the terminal while sparks flew. Never work on a car wearing a ring or a scarf or necktie. Watch out for that fan blade. Finally, never leave a bathroom or kitchen with water running.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not a specific story per say but upon reflection almost every single "incident" has been predicated about 30 seconds before by the thought, "you know I really ought to" mount this correctly, fasten it down, wear gloves, not wear gloves, move that cord, - you fill in the rest of the sentence.

Including the scar on my wrist.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Never use a table saw when you have a really bad cold. A sudden, unexpected sneeze can actually cause the spinning blade to jump up and take a bite out of your hand.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"it is embarrassing to end up in the emergency room smelling like beer."

Is there any other way to show up at the emergency room?

Country flag
If you need to use a torch to heat a stubborn bolt, be sure to remove the wench or socket setup before beginning the heating. It can get shall we say, a little warm. And your hand will let you know it...

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
A metal frying pan coming out of the oven has a hot handle - despite the innocent and inviting ergonomics suggesting it makes a perfect place to hold the pan.

I made baked ziti a few days ago, and carefully using potholders I took the pan straight from the oven to the table (one less dish to wash). Serving the family, I wanted to move the pan just a bit - YOW!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Another follow up to the cautionary saga:

Several years ago I wanted to work on my Rambler; unheated garage was around 20F. Got the tools all set, pulled off the hubcap, and found everything so blasted cold I didn't want to touch anything. Can't work in insulated gloves.

Pointed a halogen light toward the area to warm things up. After about 30 minutes, the wheel hub was touchable, so I reached for the wrenches.

Wrenches were much closer to the halogen light. Must have been eight gazillion degrees.

ouch.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
As a novice to “maintaining” Agatha on a rudimentary level, I decided to check the oil, radiator fluid and make an attempt to be sure the spark plugs were tightly in place. I was all by myself so no witnesses. Learned immediately that the key should not be in the on position. Enough said.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When working on a torsion spring on a garage door make sure the spring doesn't unwind rapidly sending a vice-grip sailing past your head and imbedding itself into the ceiling.
IMG_2359.jpg

Last edited: