Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cautionary Tales

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cautionary Tales

One of the threads on the AH forum has developed into a discussion on cautionary tales. I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone has had (or will admit to) one of those brain fart moments one you do something idiotic that you immediately regret.

Here's mine.

When bench running a model aero engine and attempting to stop it by putting your finger over the throttle intake it is always wise to notice that there is a propellor running at several thousand rpm between your finger and the throttle otherwise it will end badly (it did)
    Steve K.
    '55 BN1/225574

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Re: Cautionary Tales

Quote Originally Posted by catfood View Post
    One of the threads on the AH forum has developed into a discussion on cautionary tales. I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone has had (or will admit to) one of those brain fart moments one you do something idiotic that you immediately regret.

Here's mine.

When bench running a model aero engine and attempting to stop it by putting your finger over the throttle intake it is always wise to notice that there is a propellor running at several thousand rpm between your finger and the throttle otherwise it will end badly (it did)
    Ouch! Hope you're ok! I once got in a hurry and picked up a wheel hub with brake rotor attached. I had the assembly up about chest level to set it on a bench when I learned that I had unscrewed the rotor from the hub and it was at that point it decided to come loose. The hub remained in my hands but the rather heavy rotor landed on my big toe (and of course I was wearing soft sneakers). Lets just say that even my neighbors at the end of the street heard my yelp!
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
    --
    Confucius
    Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Three days after being diagnosed with Lyme disease and not being of clear mind. Don’t try and use a single edge razor blade to cut a string. You might pick it up the wrong way and end up with 4 stitches. 4D052D82-620B-4E42-8951-9E85820AB14C.jpg
    "Age considers; youth ventures." Rabindranth Tagore
    1975 Spitfire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And when releasing the hitch ball from your truck,ALWAYS make
    sure that your foot isn't under it.
    Just Remember.......
    NOBODY ever says "COOL PRIUS!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And, when burning a steel plate, which was setting on a pair of steel sawhorses, make sure you aren't standing close enough for your pants to catch on fire! I wouldn't admit doing this, but just in case you do, it will get awfully hot down there, very quick!

Remember, Never Forget
    We Live In The Land of The Free
    Because of The Brave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't drink and use power tools, it is embarrassing to end up in the emergency room smelling like beer.
    ex spec5 Mark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember the first independent shop I worked in. Old Harvey "Fire Wrench". Couldn't work on something without a torch.
    One day he got an exhaust system out, clamped in a vise, started torching muffler and sleeve off...except the end of the pie curled up behind him...and caught the seat of his pants on fire....an there we has hopping across the shop floor beating hisself on the a55 with both hands, being chased by two fellow workers holding fire extinguishers..and the rest of us ROFLOFAO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And the most important tip of all -
    Make sure nobody sees you do these stupid things.
    Just Remember.......
    NOBODY ever says "COOL PRIUS!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TRMark View Post
    Don't drink and use power tools, it is embarrassing to end up in the emergency room smelling like beer.
    That's probably sound advice!
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
    --
    Confucius
    Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

KEEP A SCRUPULOUSLY CLEAN WORK AREA..... It is a beautiful day and I'm feeling right with the world. A bare Healey frame is tilted up on a rolling stand in the center of my shop. I've finished the repairs, and today is the final day of preparation for the primer coat. Life is good... Happy am I, steadily working away with a rolock disk on the die grinder. Safety is paramount so I am wearing an apron, face shield and dust mask sitting in a comfortable position on my rolling stool. A little more grunt was necessary so I reached for my 4 1/2" corded Makita angle grinder with the knotted wire brush, a tool that I had used a zillion times without mishap. Little did I realize that I had inadvertently left a pair of those elastic loops with the 3/4" nylon balls attached lying in wait on the rolling stand [They are used to hold the top and sides on those tent type garages, I had tied the two together ]. Turning the tool on I set to my task calmly and carefully abrading away when... INSTANTLY the spinning wires grabbed the nylon arrangement and set upon the back of my hand at 11000 rpm beating it and the frame unmercifully while I tried to figure what the &!#% was happening and how to stop it. Dropping the tool was out of the question as these tools do not shut off by letting go. A sliding switch must be employed with your free hand and my free hand did not want any trouble by entering the danger zone. I yanked and yanked and yanked at the cord and of course it REFUSED to pull free---CRIMENY!!! It hurt so bad! In absolute agony, wracked with excruciating pain and an attendant concurrent terriifying whacking sound I rolled and twisted my way out from under the frame when the strap of my apron caught itself up in the hateful wheel and seized it to a stop. Thank goodness. And thank goodness for the crushed ice feature on the refrigerator door and the Percodan in my first aid kit.
    Last edited by elrey; 01-04-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: BOY THAT SMARTS!
    A wise man knows he knows not. Lao Tsu

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Working around the battery of my John Deere lawn tractor, I was wearing my wedding band. I touched the positive terminal and---welded the ring onto the terminal while sparks flew. Never work on a car wearing a ring or a scarf or necktie. Watch out for that fan blade. Finally, never leave a bathroom or kitchen with water running.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Not a specific story per say but upon reflection almost every single "incident" has been predicated about 30 seconds before by the thought, "you know I really ought to" mount this correctly, fasten it down, wear gloves, not wear gloves, move that cord, - you fill in the rest of the sentence.

Including the scar on my wrist.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Never use a table saw when you have a really bad cold. A sudden, unexpected sneeze can actually cause the spinning blade to jump up and take a bite out of your hand.
    Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
    '48 Ford Prefect
    '67 Sprite (project)
    '74 Super Beetle
    '73 MB 450SE
    '04 Saab Arc
    http://enfoprefect.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

"it is embarrassing to end up in the emergency room smelling like beer."

Is there any other way to show up at the emergency room?
    Cheers,
    Walter
    52 International L110
    61 International C112
    68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you need to use a torch to heat a stubborn bolt, be sure to remove the wench or socket setup before beginning the heating. It can get shall we say, a little warm. And your hand will let you know it...

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A metal frying pan coming out of the oven has a hot handle - despite the innocent and inviting ergonomics suggesting it makes a perfect place to hold the pan.

I made baked ziti a few days ago, and carefully using potholders I took the pan straight from the oven to the table (one less dish to wash). Serving the family, I wanted to move the pan just a bit - YOW!
    Mike
    66 TR4A

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Another follow up to the cautionary saga:

Several years ago I wanted to work on my Rambler; unheated garage was around 20F. Got the tools all set, pulled off the hubcap, and found everything so blasted cold I didn't want to touch anything. Can't work in insulated gloves.

Pointed a halogen light toward the area to warm things up. After about 30 minutes, the wheel hub was touchable, so I reached for the wrenches.

Wrenches were much closer to the halogen light. Must have been eight gazillion degrees.

ouch.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As a novice to “maintaining” Agatha on a rudimentary level, I decided to check the oil, radiator fluid and make an attempt to be sure the spark plugs were tightly in place. I was all by myself so no witnesses. Learned immediately that the key should not be in the on position. Enough said.
    Proud Caregiver to:

Agatha A Healey & Onslow A Jaguar

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Judy - the ignition was on? I am shocked!

Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

When working on a torsion spring on a garage door make sure the spring doesn't unwind rapidly sending a vice-grip sailing past your head and imbedding itself into the ceiling.
    IMG_2359.jpg
    Last edited by Gliderman8; 01-05-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    Elliot
    Central PA
    1976 TR6 White/Biscuit interior SOLD
    1973 TR6 Damson Plum / Biscuit interior, HVDA 5-speed, Good Parts Hubs
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.