• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New member John from Pine Island, New York USA

2AVERELLS

Freshman Member
img012.jpgOK - I'm a 74 year old.....not rich.....enthusiast who loves British cars. I've owned three Austin Princess Limousines, an Alvis TC21-100 Grey Lady Saloon, an MGTD, an MGB, an MG Midget and a bunch of other cars of various makes and models. I added "not rich" because I do practically ALL of my own work, not being able to afford the services of restoration shops. And I do it all in my one car garage with no lift, pit or spray booth, so while I love my cars and am "proud as pudding" to own and drive them, I do not "show" them, not willing to suffer the nit picking of show judges.

My current vehicle is a 1956 Austin VDP Princess Limo DM412751 which I bought from a guy in Ohio. The other two Princesses I bought from the UK, and they came off the boat in wonderful shape, ready to drive and enjoy. This one, bought from one of my own countrymen, was a "dog". I've mostly redone the body, glass, interior, wood, carpets, etc. and just pulled the head to grind the valves. I kept track of which valve sets (exhaust + intake) belonged to which cylinder, but did not notice until I went to clean up the valve assemblies that the valve springs for esch cylinder are of different sizes ie one is about 1/4 inch longer than the other. QUESTION: Does anybody know which spring
(longer versus shorter) services which valve (exhaust versus intake) ?

Thanks for your patience - Looking forward - John Averell (845) 544-6892

Last edited:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My current vehicle is a 1956 Austin VDP Princess Limo DM412751 which I bought from a guy in Ohio. The other two Princesses I bought from the UK, and they came off the boat in wonderful shape, ready to drive and enjoy. This one, bought from one of my own countrymen, was a "dog". I've mostly redone the body, glass, interior, wood, carpets, etc. and just pulled the head to grind the valves. I kept track of which valve sets (exhaust + intake) belonged to which cylinder, but did not notice until I went to clean up the valve assemblies that the valve springs for esch cylinder are of different sizes ie one is about 1/4 inch longer than the other. QUESTION: Does anybody know which spring
(longer versus shorter) services which valve (exhaust versus intake) ?
I haven't a clue directly, but some searching turned up a manual that I think is for your car ??
https://campkahler.com/files/princess-manual.pdf
It seems to say the springs should be identical; which leads me to think maybe your exhaust springs have sagged due to the extra heat?

Just a SWAG of course, my apologies in advance if that doesn't help.

My other suggestion is to try asking your question over on the "Other British Cars" forum rather than New Members.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Welcome! You describe some of my favourite cars. No answer I am afraid, but, to clarify, is this the Princess Limo? Or the Farina Princess?

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello John,

Hopefully you have already sent your questions out to the appropriate forum where the experts there are ready to pounce with accurate answers. The inmates at the BCF are always ready to help with these sorts of details, or resources to find them. But be sure to post photos of your cars here and elsewhere.

When I still owned my LBC, a TR3B, I never subjected it to judging as it was not show piece, but I did take it to a number of shows where the all sorts of people would stop to chat, and share their experiences with similar cars. That is something I truly miss since we downsized to a smaller home with next to no garage space. Consider finding display type shows instead of concours exhibitions. I think you will enjoy that.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
John-Peter - This is the big limo Model DM4.

:bow::bow::bow:

One of my very favourite! (I would rather have one than most <most> Rollers or Bentley's. There was one parked about an hour away for years in a Used Everything warehouse - I dreamed of owning it for a very long time - though given that it couldn't possibly fit in my garage.... :rolleyes:

Actually I would REALLY love the DS6 version - even though I have never set eyes on it.

Pictures please!

OP

2AVERELLS

Freshman Member
John-Peter - I think I had a DS6 as well (was this the saloon ?) I have pictures of it somewhere.
Regarding pictures, I haven't figured out how to post pictures. This forum is not (for me) the easiest to figure out. But I'm working at it.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Welcome. Yes, admittedly, many of us or the right side of 60.

OP

2AVERELLS

Freshman Member
John-Peter - Well, here goes. I'm about to attempt a photo attachment of three before & afters of my 1956 Austin Princess VDP Limo.img012.jpg

OP

2AVERELLS

Freshman Member
And finally.....Understand that I'm a garage do-it-yourselfer. The only things I farmed out were bumper plating and fabrication of the seat covers from ratty, torn originals. I did the upholstery, wood, carpets, etc. etc. Not show quality, but hey !!!!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
that is amazing! I doff my hat you you sir! well done.