• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Johnny Sykes

Freshman Member
Hi, my name is Johnny and I have recently agreed to help a friend restore a 1959 TR3. I have experience with restoration projects on American automobiles but never on a British manufacturer's brand. I am looking forward to seeing this little beauty come back to life. It is a numbers matching car, only 3 owners and the recent owner has had it since 1968. The last time it was driven was around 8 years ago and has been garage kept since.
This forum is a great place for me to start and would greatly appreciate any information that I receive. Thanks in advance for any information I use and any advice given.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hi Johnny, welcome to the asylum!

Do the numbers really match? Most (if not all) TR3s left the factory with numbers that didn't match, because components from the same lines were sometimes used in other cars.

You might want to add your commission number to your signature. Triumph didn't really observe a "model year", and there were many changes along the way. Some happened at particular change points; others were actually spread out over some range of cars.

Just one example, in April of 1959 there was a substantial set of changes involving the starter, flywheel, ring gear, gearbox and gearbox tunnel. Some components can be mixed and matched, others have to go together. As routine an item as checking gearbox oil depends on which side of the line your car falls on.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF Johnny! You're come to the right place.

The Triumph Forum here is the most active marque forum, so I think you'll find plenty of expertise - and likely some strongly held opinions! - in that forum.

Good luck and good on you for helping get a TR3 back on the road.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Welcome to the best source of information on these LBC's anywhere. We look forward to hearing of your progress with your friend's TR3. Please post photos of the progress as well.

And you might want to obtain the Heritage Certificate to see what the car contained when it left the factory. It can be ordered at https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates.

Enjoy the ride!!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Glad to have you aboard! You have a great project your helping with! Tell your friend he might want to join BCF also!

Cheers,
Basil

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Welcome. You’re off to a good start by being a part of the forum.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
I am indeed. Think it is now full steps forward. Thanks for your concern.

I told you Johnny, you came to the right place.