Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: White Xmas

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

  1. #21
    Obi Wan Bayless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    2,107
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Re: White Xmas

    We rarely get enough to need a snow blower but I moved the snow shovel to the front of the garage just in case. So far we have had .02 inches and that's about all I really need.
    Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
    '48 Ford Prefect
    '67 Sprite (project)
    '74 Super Beetle
    '73 MB 450SE
    '04 Saab Arc
    http://enfoprefect.org

  2. #22
    Administrator Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    21,134
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    15
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayless View Post
    We rarely get enough to need a snow blower but I moved the snow shovel to the front of the garage just in case. So far we have had .02 inches and that's about all I really need.
    I usually would have used my snow blower at least once by now. We don't have long, bitter winters here, but we do get some good dumps from time to time. This example is from March 2014 - a late snow.

    Snow Deck Mar 2014.jpg
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
    --
    Confucius
    Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

  3. #23
    Yoda NutmegCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    9,704
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Winter of 2014. Ah yes, I remember it well.

    Winter2014-1.jpg
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

  4. #24
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    17,131
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Sheesh you guys have it easy eh. up here not only does the snow land sideways - and stick! but with the metric system, we get 30 cm for every foot you get, AND while you have to contend with 32 deg weather we have to live with 0 deg!!!!

    wimps.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

  5. #25
    Administrator Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    21,134
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    15
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit View Post
    Sheesh you guys have it easy eh. up here not only does the snow land sideways - and stick! but with the metric system, we get 30 cm for every foot you get, AND while you have to contend with 32 deg weather we have to live with 0 deg!!!!

    wimps.
    I spent 7 years in Gt Falls, Montana - below zero days were extremely common. All the parking stalls on the base where I worked had outlets where you could plug in a heater element in your car (and everyone had those installed inline in the cooling system).
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
    --
    Confucius
    Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

  6. #26
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    17,131
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    I spent 7 years in Gt Falls, Montana - below zero days were extremely common. All the parking stalls on the base where I worked had outlets where you could plug in a heater element in your car (and everyone had those installed inline in the cooling system).
    I spent a year in Saskatchewan - the temp didn't get above -40 for 21 days straight (-40 C & F are the same) everyone plugged in their cars.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

  7. #27
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    17,131
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit View Post
    I spent a year in Saskatchewan - the temp didn't get above -40 for 21 days straight (-40 C & F are the same) everyone plugged in their cars.
    and before you ask, yes it was July. (cough: January)
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

  8. #28
    Obi Wan Bayless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    2,107
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Re: White Xmas

    I did spend 3 years in Pittsburgh defending against the Russian bombers. Got there in early summer. It snowed the day before Thanksgiving and we never saw the ground again until after Easter. Also, the steel mills were still going full tilt in those days and within days the snow was mostly black or at least gray. That was when I got all the snow I needed.
    Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
    '48 Ford Prefect
    '67 Sprite (project)
    '74 Super Beetle
    '73 MB 450SE
    '04 Saab Arc
    http://enfoprefect.org

  9. #29
    Administrator Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    21,134
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    15
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit View Post
    and before you ask, yes it was July. (cough: January)
    I spent a summer up on Baffin Island and northern Labrador doing site surveys for the North Warning (Dew Line Replacement) system - thank goodness it was summer!

    Me on Baffin.jpg
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
    --
    Confucius
    Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

  10. #30
    Jedi Warrior leecreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    732
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    1972, 1973 wintertime fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    leecreek
    '61 BugEye
    L.A. To Caswell, Me. and back in '74. 1000 miles stuck in third gear.
    Lake of the Ozarks 2008
    Hurricane Irene Survivor 2011

  11. #31
    Obi Wan
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    san luis obispo california
    Posts
    2,073
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Capable looking machine! I cannot remember ever personally seeing a snow plow in action, only in video or photos.
    A wise man knows he knows not. Lao Tsu

  12. #32
    Darth Vader Brooklands's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    2,769
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Quote Originally Posted by elrey View Post
    Aah, finnan haddie, smoked haddock baked in a cream sauce, my late mother served it for breakfast every Christmas. Thanks Mom!... Her folks hailed from Stromness in the Orkney Islands. Vikings!
    I had the pleasure of getting to spend a day at Kirkwall this past July. We decided to take a Viking Ocean cruise to Norway, mainly because it included stops in Lerwick, Shetland Islands and Kirkwall, Orkney Islands. We had been watching the TV series "Shetland", and I had wanted to visit the Orkneys as soon as I had first learned about Skara Brae. Even on a rainy day, this 5000 year old village proved to be as amazing as I had hoped, and Norway was interesting too.
    Dave Reese
    Visit my Flickr Photo Albums
    No longer have any LBC's...but many fond memories of owning Fagin...

    "I intend to live forever ... So far, so good." - Steven Wright

  13. #33
    Yoda NutmegCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    9,704
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Dave - where can we see your photos of the Orkney Scara Brae trip?

    Tom M.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

  14. #34
    Obi Wan
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    san luis obispo california
    Posts
    2,073
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    when I was a young man I went to the Orkneys to visit the relatives and see from whence I came . During my visit I spent time alone at Skara Brae. I mean alone, no guide, no barrier, nothing but a fence to keep out the sheep. I sat and looked upon the ocean and felt a calming peace and a connection with the past that I had not yet experienced and may never again.
    A wise man knows he knows not. Lao Tsu

  15. #35
    Darth Vader Brooklands's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    2,769
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Quote Originally Posted by NutmegCT View Post
    Dave - where can we see your photos of the Orkney Scara Brae trip?

    Tom M.
    Tom, those photos are at https://www.flickr.com/photos/brookl...57686335189266, or if you prefer video and slide show with music, you can see it at https://youtu.be/q-Xpc8vKIIc.
    Dave Reese
    Visit my Flickr Photo Albums
    No longer have any LBC's...but many fond memories of owning Fagin...

    "I intend to live forever ... So far, so good." - Steven Wright

  16. #36
    Darth Vader Brooklands's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    2,769
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Quote Originally Posted by elrey View Post
    when I was a young man I went to the Orkneys to visit the relatives and see from whence I came . During my visit I spent time alone at Skara Brae. I mean alone, no guide, no barrier, nothing but a fence to keep out the sheep. I sat and looked upon the ocean and felt a calming peace and a connection with the past that I had not yet experienced and may never again.
    We could not just walk in, but went with a guide, but there still was quite a magic in that place.
    Dave Reese
    Visit my Flickr Photo Albums
    No longer have any LBC's...but many fond memories of owning Fagin...

    "I intend to live forever ... So far, so good." - Steven Wright

  17. #37
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    17,131
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklands View Post
    I had the pleasure of getting to spend a day at Kirkwall this past July. We decided to take a Viking Ocean cruise to Norway, mainly because it included stops in Lerwick, Shetland Islands and Kirkwall, Orkney Islands. We had been watching the TV series "Shetland", and I had wanted to visit the Orkneys as soon as I had first learned about Skara Brae. Even on a rainy day, this 5000 year old village proved to be as amazing as I had hoped, and Norway was interesting too.
    Last year we spent a week on Shetland. A dear friend was the minister in Lerwick (she just retired and moved back to Canada) - it was more interesting in every possible way than we would ever have expected - we felw in from Iceland - so lots of Viking lore! The church manse backs onto the police station so, lots familier as we watched Shetland!

    edit - and we were there for the Brexit vote - amazing!
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

  18. #38
    Great Pumpkin DrEntropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Elsinore, DK
    Posts
    31,803
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayless View Post
    I did spend 3 years in Pittsburgh defending against the Russian bombers. Got there in early summer. It snowed the day before Thanksgiving and we never saw the ground again until after Easter. Also, the steel mills were still going full tilt in those days and within days the snow was mostly black or at least gray. That was when I got all the snow I needed.
    Spent childhood and later another five years in that area. Your short description about sums up the climate there. Winter of '78 was brutal.
    '64 MGB, '67 Lotus Elan S-3 DHC,'69 Lotus Elan +2
    '78 Alfa Romeo Spider-undergoing surgery: O=\*/=O
    '84 300D Turbo-"Diesela"-Now my Daily: Oo|≣|oO
    '02 Toyota Camry- SWMBO's 'new-to-her' Daily. <sigh>
    Chaos & Mayhem PTY, LTD..C.I.O. & Floor Sweepervisor

  19. #39
    Great Pumpkin DNK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Mount PLeasant SC
    Posts
    17,288
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    White January
    Attachment 51862
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don
    "Stick a Wedge in it!"
    Mount Pleasant,SC

  20. #40
    Administrator Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    21,134
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    15
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Re: White Xmas

    Quote Originally Posted by DNK View Post
    White January
    Attachment 51862
    Wow - hope you have the snow plow at the ready! LOL
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
    --
    Confucius
    Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •