• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spark Plug Wire Caps

BG 62AH

Country flag
I bought these caps from a vendor in the UK, one of the well known suppliers. When the caps arrived, I placed them on some Champion plugs. They do seem to “click” onto the top of the plug, but once in place they wiggle. The fit is a little loose.

I asked the vendor, and they stated theat the caps should work fine and are the right spec for an Austin Healey 3000. I have generally had good experience with this vendor in the past.

I have seen these caps on other cars at car shows. As can be seen, I use the recommended Champion plug.

I am curious if anyone else has had an experience with them. I have not installed them yet. I would like to use them, but not if it compromises the cars reliability.

I would appreciate any feedback. As always, thanks so much.

Attachments

• 11BCA0E5-5467-4E80-9C49-94187794D3EC.jpg
    11BCA0E5-5467-4E80-9C49-94187794D3EC.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 125
  • B9CB116A-F3E4-4843-AFAE-77057B5F19D2.jpg
    B9CB116A-F3E4-4843-AFAE-77057B5F19D2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 113

SteveT3000

Freshman Member
I have them on mine and I agree that once in place they are a loose fit but don't come off without a tug and have never been a problem. I wouldn't worry.

steve

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well:
I use Bosh plug caps and they do not wiggle and work a treat.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
One can take it on faith that Champion is not in the business of making spark plug caps that make their plugs perform badly.

]:iagree: They perform badly all by themselves------:friendly_wink:

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I once bought a set of 'bumble bee' wires with caps already attached, from one the UK major suppliers. The caps seemed too hard and plasticky and never fit as well as I thought they should. I removed them and now use NGK caps and plugs.

SteveT3000

Freshman Member
One can take it on faith that Champion is not in the business of making spark plug caps that make their plugs perform badly.

I wouldn’t assume they are genuine simply because they have Champion written on them. Like Lucas parts many are Chinese copies of variable quality.

OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
Actually one of my concerns is that, even though they have the “Champion” name ... were they really manufactured by Champion?..... or a knock-off with the vintage look.

I appreciate all the feed back, and glad this spurred some conversation. I have to say that I like the way that they look, but not too convinced that it is acceptable to have loose fitting spark plug caps from a performance/reliability standpoint.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Actually one of my concerns is that, even though they have the “Champion” name ... were they really manufactured by Champion?..... or a knock-off with the vintage look.

I appreciate all the feed back, and glad this spurred some conversation. I have to say that I like the way that they look, but not too convinced that it is acceptable to have loose fitting spark plug caps from a performance/reliability standpoint.

You already own them. Why not install them? You can test each wire with a timing light and see if it has a miss.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
FWIW, Champion plugs are the plug of choice for aircraft piston engines (engine performance is a matter of some concern in aircraft). Champion oil filters are widely used as well.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have found that any of the hard plastic or bakalite plug caps do wobble after they have clipped on the plug. I have found no loss of performance due to that on a street driven engine. But one issue of the open hard caps is that they certainly are not water or moisture proof. When I was on tour this past summer in the Smoky Mountains I found that each morning after a bit of a night time shower, the Healey started and idled fine but sputtered around awhile till everything warmed up and dried off. I am still using the original style Lucas hard caps. No water proofness here.

Attachments

• DSCF2257.jpg
    DSCF2257.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 81

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I use 8 mm wires with a soft rubber boot that emits a suction cup-like noise when pulled from the (NGK) plug.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I had the hard caps for years and had some issues with the wires occasionally coming a little loose from the screw threads.

Found a guy in upstate NY who has a business making wiring for classic cars (Duesenbergs, Packards, etc). He sold me some unmarked black metal-core wire and clamp-on clips inside of tight-fitting rubber boots. That's what I run now. Not sure it runs any better, but one less thing to fiddle with.

I've been using NGK plugs since my first motor vehicle (Yamaha Trail 80).