• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Member here, long-time British car lover.

Harpo

Freshman Member
Greetings from Iowa! Over the years I've owned many different marques, including a lot of American iron as family cars and plenty of others as my daily drivers. Now I'm retired (and single!), so I'm gathering what I like. My current fleet includes a 2005 Lexus LX470, 1988 Rolls Royce Silver Spur, 2003 Mercedes SLK32 AMG, and a 1976 Midget.

I'm not a collector really, just a car nut with poor self-control. The LX470 is my winter truck (necessary in Iowa) and I'll keep it, and the Rolls is a recently acquired long-term desire, so it's staying too. The SLK is up for sale (impulse buy, and too **** fast), and the MG I bought purely to play with then sell.

My car history includes a 1962 Citroen DS19, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Saab 96, 1968 Fiat 850 Racer, 1973 Fiat 128 (the only new car I've ever bought), 1972 Saab 99, 1969 Volvo 145, and lots of others I've forgotten. I owned most of these in the 70s-80s, in later years 4 children came along and restricted my eclectic tastes a bit, so I drove mainly Japanese and kept an American boat for family use. But even during those years I managed to maintain a 68 Cadillac hearse for a family outing car... :smile:

Anyway, I'm now selecting a very limited fleet for my own use, which will include the RR, the LX470 (snow!), and a yet to be selected small British car. I'm not looking for a sports car, though a convertible is not out of the question. What I really want is an Austin A30/35/40 or something similar, and that's how I found this Forum. It will be a near daily driver, not a show car but no rust and no mechanical issues. Something I can use around town and actually enjoy.

I'm hopeful that I'll find some kindred spirits here too - I'm the kind of guy who will go out to the garage and just sit in the RR and inhale... And that 59 TR3A was the single greatest car I have ever owned - I used to just stare at the "Made in Coventry" on the ID plate... Awesome! Yes, I am strange that way, but hopefully some of you are too and understand what I mean.

So here's to British car nuts, I'm looking forward to having some fun here!

Garry

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome, Garry!

Sounds like you're gonna fit in this sandbox just right - plenty of company here!

So, "Harpo" - do you play, or is that a nod to the Marx brothers?

:cheers:
Mickey

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Welcome! sounds like a noble addiction! (and a great list of past cars! - My first car was a DS 19)

This is a great forum - not just for advice and camraderie but also help with purchasing etc. etc.

So, for instance, if you are looking for an Austin County - there is a good chance you will be searching in Canada as well. Happy to be another set of eyes.

:cheers:

like this: (which has been for sale for a while)

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-car...le/1305994535?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF Garry! You've come to the right place.

For a long-term relationship with a British car, and considering your climate and road conditions and your stated goal of a "near daily driver," you'd likely be better off with something newish or at least not collector-car-old. A Land Rover might be a good choice. They have quite a dedicated following. I've driven one and I don't get it at all - it's just a nice truck - but those who like them seem to really like them.

Maybe a Jaguar F-Pace (their new SUV)? You've already got a Rolls. That's most of the options I can think of for year-round (near) daily driver. Please let us know what you decide and good luck.

OP
H

Harpo

Freshman Member
I should qualify my definition of "near daily driver"; I live in town, seldom leave, and if I do I drive the Rolls or the Lexus. This will be a strictly in-town car, no hills, speed limits 40 mph max, for trips to church, grocery store, post office etc 4-5 times a week.

I like Land Rovers and understand the mystique, but they are just not my cup of tea. I've even considered a Morris Minor, but they were fairly common in my youth and I tend to view them as at least partially "American" lol. I've also seriously considered a Vanden Plas Princess 1300, but having owned two Austin Americas I know the mechanics are more complex than I want (fwd, hydrolastic suspension).

I've also ruled out Austin Mini and all variations as too small (though Riley Elf is good looking), as well as the Austin A90/95/100 and such as too large, and some others that don't qualify simply because parts are too rare. I will admit I'm totally in love with this Austin A95 Countryman, but it's really too much car for my purposes.

I've always liked Nash, Rambler, and AMC, and have owned quite a few, so a Metropolitan might seem natural. But personally I see the Met as a sad caricature of a proper British car: floppy 3-on-the-tree trans, crappy handling, and styling that embarrassed Pininfarina. Its single redeeming value is the "Made in England" plate, but that's not enough.

Having admitted my prejudices, can anyone else suggest a possible contender?

Last edited:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
1. Triumph Mayflower.
2. MG Magnette
3. VW Beetle
4. Datsun 510 (I owned one when new). Poor man's BMW.

almost any of the Austin County models (as mentioned)
Farina Body just about anything.
Austin 1800 Landcrab - extra points if done up as a rally car
Rover

OP
H

Harpo

Freshman Member
Triumph Mayflower is tempting, I'm probably one of the few who really like the styling. The side valve engine is a plus, too! Rover P4 series is also attractive, a bit large but awesome. The trick seems to be actually finding a good example.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Maybe this hits the spot:

1957AustinA95.jpg

Now send me big bucks and I'll tell you where it is ... just kidding. Try this:

https://rrclassiccars.com/1957-austin.html

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Well Harpo a/k/a Mr. Car Nut, you are definitely in the right forum. Many of us in spite of our LBC addiction have other vehicles that just appeal to us. My Lexus is a 2005 SC430, Pebble Beach Edition, husband has restored by him a 1950 Dodge B2C truck and like you our daily 4 wheel drive is a necessary GMC Acadia. I am coining the non existing word “autophile.” Welcome!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Triumph Mayflower is tempting, I'm probably one of the few who really like the styling. The side valve engine is a plus, too! Rover P4 series is also attractive, a bit large but awesome. The trick seems to be actually finding a good example.

This just showed up in my local newsletter - NFI but PM me for an email if you want

[FONT=&quot]“Hello[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have a 52 Mayflower that i am interested in selling .[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is in good working order- I have changed the motor and engine in order to drive it on the major roads. Do you think you have some members that would be interested[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Miki”[/FONT]

Answerman

Country flag
I've always liked Nash, Rambler, and AMC, and have owned quite a few, so a Metropolitan might seem natural. But personally I see the Met as a sad caricature of a proper British car: floppy 3-on-the-tree trans, crappy handling, and styling that embarrassed Pininfarina. Its single redeeming value is the "Made in England" plate, but that's not enough.

Well, as the resident Met guy here: keep in mind that it's not a British designed car. It's a car designed in America by Nash (not Pininfarina, as is commonly assumed, though he did design the big Nashes) and built by Austin to the Nash specifications. Is it a sports car? No. Is it just a blast to drive? Yes. With a proper urethane-bushed suspension and a 3.90 Sprite pumpkin, it's actually got some pep and not horrible handling (thought again, the handling is supposed to be more like a big Nash than a sports car because that's what Americans wanted in the 50s). I love mine, even with the 3 on the tree. And you get a tired arm from waving at people as you drive by: everyone loves these silly little clown cars.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Well, as the resident Met guy here: keep in mind that it's not a British designed car. It's a car designed in America by Nash (not Pininfarina, as is commonly assumed, though he did design the big Nashes) and built by Austin to the Nash specifications. Is it a sports car? No. Is it just a blast to drive? Yes. With a proper urethane-bushed suspension and a 3.90 Sprite pumpkin, it's actually got some pep and not horrible handling (thought again, the handling is supposed to be more like a big Nash than a sports car because that's what Americans wanted in the 50s). I love mine, even with the 3 on the tree. And you get a tired arm from waving at people as you drive by: everyone loves these silly little clown cars.

"Three on the tree" - now there an expression I've not heard in a long time. The only car I can recall from my childhood having "three on the tree" was Dad's 64 Comet.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
"Three on the tree" - now there an expression I've not heard in a long time. The only car I can recall from my childhood having "three on the tree" was Dad's 64 Comet.

My '62 Meteor had three on the tree - my citroen and my dad's DKW had 4 on the tree

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome to the forum! Not sure where Ankeny is in Iowa,
but my Dad was from Cedar Rapids.
Let us know what you find.

1. Triumph Mayflower.
2. MG Magnette
3. VW Beetle
4. Datsun 510 (I owned one when new). Poor man's BMW.

A 510 is not a poor man's anything,anymore - have you priced one lately?

D

Deleted member 8987

My 1950 Ford Tudor has 3 on the tree...plus overdrive. Maybe this F-1 had it, but I put a three on the floor in it. The 1949 Willys had it, but when the flathead V-8 went in, could not retain it, so went with a floor shifter on the synchro low three speed Ford gearbox.