Thread: New Member here, long-time British car lover.

Freshman Member
    Chats

New Member here, long-time British car lover.

Greetings from Iowa! Over the years I've owned many different marques, including a lot of American iron as family cars and plenty of others as my daily drivers. Now I'm retired (and single!), so I'm gathering what I like. My current fleet includes a 2005 Lexus LX470, 1988 Rolls Royce Silver Spur, 2003 Mercedes SLK32 AMG, and a 1976 Midget.

I'm not a collector really, just a car nut with poor self-control. The LX470 is my winter truck (necessary in Iowa) and I'll keep it, and the Rolls is a recently acquired long-term desire, so it's staying too. The SLK is up for sale (impulse buy, and too **** fast), and the MG I bought purely to play with then sell.

My car history includes a 1962 Citroen DS19, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Saab 96, 1968 Fiat 850 Racer, 1973 Fiat 128 (the only new car I've ever bought), 1972 Saab 99, 1969 Volvo 145, and lots of others I've forgotten. I owned most of these in the 70s-80s, in later years 4 children came along and restricted my eclectic tastes a bit, so I drove mainly Japanese and kept an American boat for family use. But even during those years I managed to maintain a 68 Cadillac hearse for a family outing car...

Anyway, I'm now selecting a very limited fleet for my own use, which will include the RR, the LX470 (snow!), and a yet to be selected small British car. I'm not looking for a sports car, though a convertible is not out of the question. What I really want is an Austin A30/35/40 or something similar, and that's how I found this Forum. It will be a near daily driver, not a show car but no rust and no mechanical issues. Something I can use around town and actually enjoy.

I'm hopeful that I'll find some kindred spirits here too - I'm the kind of guy who will go out to the garage and just sit in the RR and inhale... And that 59 TR3A was the single greatest car I have ever owned - I used to just stare at the "Made in Coventry" on the ID plate... Awesome! Yes, I am strange that way, but hopefully some of you are too and understand what I mean.

So here's to British car nuts, I'm looking forward to having some fun here!

Garry

Chats

Re: New Member here, long-time British car lover.

Welcome, Garry!

Sounds like you're gonna fit in this sandbox just right - plenty of company here!

So, "Harpo" - do you play, or is that a nod to the Marx brothers?

Mickey
    "24 hours a day; 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not." (H.L. Mencken)

Mickey Richaud
    '73 MGB, '69 MGB GT/V6, Victor TF
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Chats

Welcome! sounds like a noble addiction! (and a great list of past cars! - My first car was a DS 19)

This is a great forum - not just for advice and camraderie but also help with purchasing etc. etc.

So, for instance, if you are looking for an Austin County - there is a good chance you will be searching in Canada as well. Happy to be another set of eyes.

like this: (which has been for sale for a while)

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...ationFlag=true
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Welcome to the BCF Garry! You've come to the right place.

For a long-term relationship with a British car, and considering your climate and road conditions and your stated goal of a "near daily driver," you'd likely be better off with something newish or at least not collector-car-old. A Land Rover might be a good choice. They have quite a dedicated following. I've driven one and I don't get it at all - it's just a nice truck - but those who like them seem to really like them.

Maybe a Jaguar F-Pace (their new SUV)? You've already got a Rolls. That's most of the options I can think of for year-round (near) daily driver. Please let us know what you decide and good luck.
    Reid Trummel
    Editor, HEALEY MARQUE magazine

Freshman Member
    Chats

I should qualify my definition of "near daily driver"; I live in town, seldom leave, and if I do I drive the Rolls or the Lexus. This will be a strictly in-town car, no hills, speed limits 40 mph max, for trips to church, grocery store, post office etc 4-5 times a week.

I like Land Rovers and understand the mystique, but they are just not my cup of tea. I've even considered a Morris Minor, but they were fairly common in my youth and I tend to view them as at least partially "American" lol. I've also seriously considered a Vanden Plas Princess 1300, but having owned two Austin Americas I know the mechanics are more complex than I want (fwd, hydrolastic suspension).

I've also ruled out Austin Mini and all variations as too small (though Riley Elf is good looking), as well as the Austin A90/95/100 and such as too large, and some others that don't qualify simply because parts are too rare. I will admit I'm totally in love with this Austin A95 Countryman, but it's really too much car for my purposes.

I've always liked Nash, Rambler, and AMC, and have owned quite a few, so a Metropolitan might seem natural. But personally I see the Met as a sad caricature of a proper British car: floppy 3-on-the-tree trans, crappy handling, and styling that embarrassed Pininfarina. Its single redeeming value is the "Made in England" plate, but that's not enough.

Having admitted my prejudices, can anyone else suggest a possible contender?
    Last edited by Harpo; 12-23-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Jedi Knight
    Chats

1. Triumph Mayflower.
    2. MG Magnette
    3. VW Beetle
    4. Datsun 510 (I owned one when new). Poor man's BMW.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by pdplot View Post
    1. Triumph Mayflower.
    2. MG Magnette
    3. VW Beetle
    4. Datsun 510 (I owned one when new). Poor man's BMW.
    almost any of the Austin County models (as mentioned)
    Farina Body just about anything.
    Austin 1800 Landcrab - extra points if done up as a rally car
    Rover
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Freshman Member
    Chats

Triumph Mayflower is tempting, I'm probably one of the few who really like the styling. The side valve engine is a plus, too! Rover P4 series is also attractive, a bit large but awesome. The trick seems to be actually finding a good example.

Maybe this hits the spot:

1957AustinA95.jpg

Now send me big bucks and I'll tell you where it is ... just kidding. Try this:

http://rrclassiccars.com/1957-austin.html
    Reid Trummel
    Editor, HEALEY MARQUE magazine

Blog Entries
    Chats

How 'bout a 1953 Talbot?

Others:

http://www.bsccoc.org/20171215-stuff-sale/

TM
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Freshman Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Editor_Reid View Post
    Maybe this hits the spot:

1957AustinA95.jpg

Now send me big bucks and I'll tell you where it is ... just kidding. Try this:

http://rrclassiccars.com/1957-austin.html
    Yes, I love it. In fact, I linked it in my post #5 above! But it's really too big, and looks too nice for casual use.

Chats

Well Harpo a/k/a Mr. Car Nut, you are definitely in the right forum. Many of us in spite of our LBC addiction have other vehicles that just appeal to us. My Lexus is a 2005 SC430, Pebble Beach Edition, husband has restored by him a 1950 Dodge B2C truck and like you our daily 4 wheel drive is a necessary GMC Acadia. I am coining the non existing word “autophile.” Welcome!
    Proud Caregiver to:

Agatha A Healey & Onslow A Jaguar