• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Moss Motors rear brake "set"

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I need to replace the brake shoes on both rear wheels. Moss's site refers to a "set" but does not tell me whether a "set" covers both wheels or whether I need to order two "sets". Customer Service is closed and I would like to place the order tonight--does anyone know the answer to this so I don't stay up all night wondering?

D

Duane_Rhynard

I need to replace the brake shoes on both rear wheels. Moss's site refers to a "set" but does not tell me whether a "set" covers both wheels or whether I need to order two "sets". Customer Service is closed and I would like to place the order tonight--does anyone know the answer to this so I don't stay up all night wondering?

Michael,

The picture on the website shows 4 shoes (Below), so common sense would dictate a rear set is 4 shoes!

shoes.jpg

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Just like when you buy brake pads for any car, they come with enough to do the entire job (ie front or rear). So yes it will have 4 shoes to do the rear

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Whew, now I can go to sleep with the reasonable expectation that four shoes are headed my way, though I'm not sure how much common sense counts for these days.

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Linings should always go on as a set (both sides) since there are variations in compounds, wear, and compression. Uneven braking can occur. Same for front pads.
Bob

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Though I plan to replace the shoes on both sides the right side is worn a lot more due to a faulty adjustor on that brake. A notch/shoulder has developed in it which causes the front static end of the upper brake shoe to ride against the drum even when the brakes are not activated. So after only 63 years of service I'll have to be replacing the adjustors as well.

Country flag
Though I plan to replace the shoes on both sides the right side is worn a lot more due to a faulty adjustor on that brake. A notch/shoulder has developed in it which causes the front static end of the upper brake shoe to ride against the drum even when the brakes are not activated. So after only 63 years of service I'll have to be replacing the adjustors as well.
Boy, what cheap parts; you'd think they could make something to last!

Although, having *just* turned 63 myself, I'm thing that a few of my adjusters are getting worn out too...

I must agree with Bob; brake friction materials__pads/shoes__are always sold, and should be installed as axle-sets. Unless there is virtually no wear__as in less than a few months in service__I treat tire replacement the same way (my wife's X5 's tires have an unnatural, yet magnetic attraction to drill-screws, since there's still a lot of construction around here...).

Dandare

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
In PA you cannot change one side. HAS TO BE BOTH WHEELS.

Are you referring to brake linings or tyres as Randy mentioned? (Or both)?

If tyres, can you take one wheel to a tyre shop for fitting?

Danny

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
G'day again Mike, would you share the method that you use to replace the adjusters. I am about to undertake this job (after 64 years in my case) and am a bit concerned about how to go about it. The adjuster kit that I have is for a Landrover and are identical to those on my BN1, and by the way the kit does both sides!

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I installed the new shoes and adjusters today--it was the usual PITA getting the springs to stay in place while I levered the shoes over the wheel cylinders and adjusters but all went together okay and the new brakes work fine.

Pan--installing the adjusters was simply a matter of removing the two bolts and washers from the rear of the backing plate, knocking the old adjuster out and putting the new one in. A bit of wheel bearing grease on each of the moveable pistons keeps things in place while getting the shoes seated. Be sure to turn the adjuster screw all the way out so that the pistons are in as far as possible which makes getting the shoes in place less difficult. Let me know if this answers your question.