• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

114 years ago today!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
The Wright Bros. changed history forever!

As a happy coincidence my older son, when he was in High School and CAP, had Mr Al Santilli as his glider instructor who signed hm off for his glider license. Mr Santilli's original glider license was signed off by Orville Wright. Another happy coincidence - my son Soloed in a jet at UPT on the 100th anniversary of the Wright Bros first flight. (2003).

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Indeed though my first reaction to the post title was "Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play." (Time moves on after all) :grin:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
The Gustav Whitehead controversy apparently will not die. Now it has been given official sanction by Dannel Malloy, our Governator, former mayor of my fair city and brother of my insurance agent. As for the Bridgeport Herald, it was a former scandal sheet so hard up for news that it actually published my first matrimonial case where I got a college kid an annulment when his girlfriend tricked him into marriage by claiming she was pregnant. She was not.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Funny thing about the "official" recognition by Connecticut. The text of that bill actually says Connecticut shall recognize the first flights of Gustave Whitehead.

Doesn't say Connecticut recognizes Gustave Whitehead as first to fly.

(Whitehead *did* fly - but he flew a Lilienthal-designed glider, not a Whitehead-designed airplane.)

As desperately as Bridgeport wants Gustave Whitehead to be *first*, there's no evidence he ever got off the ground in his man-carrying, engine powered, invention. And the one "photo" of him in flight was doctored up from a photo showing the invention suspended on cables between two trees. Century old Photoshop?

If I push a refrigerator over the fence at the top of the Empire State Building, does the refrigerator fly down?

Tom M. a/k/a Thomas the Doubter

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We did a photo job at Kittyhawk on the 70th anniversary. Learned the brothers built the original wind tunnel. Not to work on wing profile, rather, they were designing an efficient propeller. And they were casting their own engine, too. Remarkable.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I thought it would be awesome to go to Kitty Hawk for the 100th anniversary. So did a couple of million other people. I stayed home.