Thread: Crane Cams Electronic Ingnition

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Crane Cams Electronic Ingnition

Help. My car came to me with a Cranes Cams electronic ignition. It is a unit I like and am using on a Triumph.

But I have run into a problem with finding a location to mount it. My car is a BJ7. The car came to me without the heater blower hoses in place. The box was mounted in the area where the blower to heater hose enters the cars cabin.

I have put the hoses in, and there is not enough room to mount the elect ignition unit.

I really want to stay with the Crane Cam unit. There is a spot on the firewall that will work, but I am not happy with it, strictly from a visual standpoint.

Can anyone suggest another location, my engine is primarily stock.

I truly appreciate the help!!!
    Thanks,

Bill

1975 Triumph TR6 & 1962 Austin Healey 3000 BJ7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Re: Crane Cams Electronic Ingnition

What about the roof of the passenger footwell inside the cabin? Run the wires through the rt side throttle shaft hole or the RHD master cylinder blanking plate.

There should be 2 small holes on either side of a large hole - mirrors those used by where your throttle pedal shaft passes through the driver's side footwell. Probably these are blanked with a rubber plug for the large one and maybe screws for the smaller ones.

screenshot.1069.jpg

Also consider a hole in the blanking plate for the RHD master cylinder location.

screenshot.1067.jpg
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Mine is on the slanted portion of the passenger footwell (where their feet go) but on the engine side.
    John, BN4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Will the wiring reach inside the car? My MSD is hung where you'd likely have your heater, but there's still lots of room under there, and a bit nicer environment than the engine compartment or outside of the footwell.

I only left the coil out there

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/image.php
    57 Healey BN6L-942 Wine Red/Honey Tan
    99 BMW M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew Supercharger
    01 BMW M Rdstr Steel Gray Performance Center (factory) Delivery
    11 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue Metallic Wife's Turbo Hauler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Turney View Post
    Mine is on the slanted portion of the passenger footwell (where their feet go) but on the engine side.

My cars that use units with external boxes are too John.
    1966 Daimler V8 Saloon; Safely Fast, Built to Last & and; Smooth as Glass.
    1966 BJ8 [ 2 ] Lil Red & Miss bLU
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1948 & 70 Lincoln continentals
    1973 Volvo P1800ES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Hi Bill,

I have been using a Crane Electronic Ignition for quite a while and installed it on the passenger foot well (where MCs would be mounted on RT Hand drive cars). As the picture shows, I have also installed an Alternator and moved my Ignition Coil to the frame in front of the Crane. In the picture, the Crane is behind the Ignition Coil Label and is painted black to somewhat hide the unit.

100_0266.jpg

All the best,
    Ray(64BJ8P1)
    Last edited by RAC68; 12-18-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guys, I really appreciate the suggestions. Due to the wire length, I am probably going to mount it on the passenger footwell under the frame substructure. Thank you for taking the time to respond and send photos.

Happy Holidays to All!!!
    Thanks,

Bill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BG 62AH View Post
    Guys, I really appreciate the suggestions. Due to the wire length, I am probably going to mount it on the passenger footwell under the frame substructure. Thank you for taking the time to respond and send photos.

Happy Holidays to All!!!
    Can't tell by your post whether you're planning on mounting it inside the cockpit or on the engine compartment side. I'd advise against mounting it on the footwell on the engine compartment side as you'll get a lot of water spray that can leak in and short out the whole thing. I mounted my MSD box on the heater rail on the passenger side and I use a piece of hardura with velcro on the back to cover the whole thing. That location, while nice and dry, did prevent me from mounting the package tray, however. which I didn't find to be a great loss.
    Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Rick. I did end up putting on the upper area of the footwell (not the angled lower portion), very close to where the distributor is on the engine side. I do share the concern about where it is located being too exposed to water if I have to drive in the rain. The wires were not long enough to put it in the cabin, although they probably could have been lengthened.

For now, I'm just going to monitor it. I really never drive the car in the rain, but there is always the risk of a sudden unexpected rain storm.

Among many other spare parts and tools that I keep in the boot at all times, I carry an extra Crane Cams elect. ignit. unit, and a spare fuel pump...... so I'll just need to be prepared to get wet while I change out the ignition in the rain...probably need to get one of those miniature umbrellas for the "boot kit"!!!

I do really appreciate all of the advice, I could never have completed many of the projects on this car without all of the support of the BCF community.

Have a great holiday.
    Thanks,

Bill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Hi Bill,

I have had my Crane Ignition mounted in the area previously pictured (upper section of the passenger foot well under the engine shroud) and driven in rain downpours with no problems. The Crane unit is sealed and only somewhat vulnerable where the wires from the distributor are plugged to the wires form the unit. I had applied dielectric grease to seal the connection and all has performed flawlessly.

Hope this helps,
    Ray(64BJ8P1)