• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Rear end service

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I know I’m getting ahead of myself, but in about 6 months I’ll have a shop with a lift and I want to change out the bushings and upgrade to a set of Peter Cs rebuilt shocks. It’s a 2 post lift and I’m assuming that something along the lines of a transmission jack would be helpful to hold up the rear end. Any thoughts from those who have done this will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Rut

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
You do not have rebound rubbers fitted?
would do one side at a time. The rubbers will keep the axle from falling out.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A tranny jack is almost necessity for that job. I've seem many MG's through our shop with loose and/or worn rear dampers. They can be the cause of various mysterious clunks and rattles. Use new shackle bolts and be sure to replace the vertical links, too.

EDIT: Although I've "trusted" the rebound straps occasionally, I've also seen them deteriorated to a point of failure. Those would be another part I'd replace if doing the job.

Last edited:
OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks guys, I do have rebound straps, but don’t know the condition and while the rear is fairly solid I can tell that it needs attention. It’s about the only thing on the car that I haven’t worked on. The poly bushing have been sitting in the boot for well over a year, but when the shop burned I kinda lost my passion for awhile. I hate working in the garage and taking up my wife’s parking spot and not having the tools I need to do the job right.
Thanks, Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
While I’m thinking about this, does anyone have a suggestion for a transmission jack? I’ve never even used one and don’t know the differences that would be good for a home hobbiest.
Thanks, Rut

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
How far up in the air will the lift go?That would determine what you will want for a tranny jack. If you can work low, a normal floor jack can work. Just looked at Northern Tool website, they have a variety of them.

We had Nussbaum two-posters in the shop, the trans jack was a steel four foot high tripod with a 24" screw post centered. Crude but dependable.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I took my TF rear out by putting the car on jack stands, dropped the springs in the rear and lowered the housing with a floor jack. I had the gears changed from 4.8 to 4.1 and the rear totally rebuilt with new axles, bearings and seals. It was easier than I initially thought it would be. The 1200 bucks to have it rebuilt hurt a little but the rest was easy. :encouragement: PJ

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
The lift is a 2 post asymmetrical with a stop bar at about 12’, so there’s well over 6’ of room to work underneath even on my crew cab GMC. I think a screw type would work well if I can find one with an axle cradle adapter...I need to see what’s out there.
Thanks, Rut