Thread: New member with SP250

Hey New Members! This New Member Introduction Forum is where you can post an introduction message to introduce yourself to the group here!

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

New member with SP250

After 20 years of ownership, now that I am retired, I have this year started rebuilding my basket case 1961 SP250.
    I had the SUs serviced in the USA, had the starter motor repaired, and fitted a new starter solenoid and electronic ignition, and after adjustments to tappets and oil/filter change, to my utter amazement it started at the first go. Good oil pressure had persuaded me to continue with the restoration and am having a body-off restoration of the bodywork and examination of the chassis starting in January 2018, and if all looks good, will have it retrimmed in leather once the body is re-attached. Deep red (rojo vino) and beige interior. Next wheels and tyres........
    Best wishes to all for the Festive Season,
    Tsimsi

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Re: New member with SP250

Nice! We have a couple of Sp250 owners here, but it's not what you'd cal common! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, but it will be worth it when you're done!

Welcome to BCF!

Basil
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.."
    -- William Arthur Ward

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Tsimi - welcome to BCF. There are a couple of SP250 owners here, so post any questions in the Other British Cars forum:

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/f...r-British-Cars

You're in Panama' - where did you find your 250?

By the way, "red wine" color with beige interior. Sounds great!

Tom M.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Tom.
    I bought the SP250 in the USA through Bob Santoro of the DLVOC-NA in 1997 when I lived near Seattle WA, and had it shipped down here when I retired, but I knew it was going to be a long (and expensive) project so it has had to wait until everything else fell into place.
    I have owned (in my youth in the UK) a TR3A, Lotus Elan, TR6, and another SP250 as well as 2 Citroen Light 15s, a DS19 plus many other brands, with recent top exotic being Bentley Turbo S, and still have the 1997 Lincoln Mk8 LSC I bought new and it only has 28,000 miles on it! You might say I like my cars!
    Brgds, Tim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Welcome to the BCF Tsimsi! You've come to the right place.

I'll bet that your SP250 is a real traffic-stopper in Panama. I mean, it is anywhere, but you've likely got the only one there!

Please post a pic or three of it when you get a chance.

How's the British car scene there?
    Reid Trummel
    Editor, HEALEY MARQUE magazine