• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Eastwood Surface conditioning tool

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It looks pretty handy to me but for that money I think my DA will do just fine.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
It looks pretty handy to me but for that money I think my DA will do just fine.

Agree, nice but pricey. The drums are not cheap either. You can get 10 flop discs for your angle grinder for less than one drum. But I do like the idea of a much larger contact area.
Tom

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I was thinking it may be an easier way of getting my tub ready for paint. Sandblasting it seems a bit daunting. One of the claims is the lack of heating in the work area.
Depends on how long the drums hold up. The expandable drum for sand paper does seem very high as does the spiky drum.

David

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Just be careful of the type of grit wheel you use, can scratch metal.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
In my -very limited- experience, I seem to always fall back to sandblasting. The hard part is transporting parts, as someone who only owns small cars. A U-Haul pickup plus trailer and miles is $100, sandblasting a few hundred - depending on how much. If you live in a wide open area, you could have blasters come to you - often not an option for a city dweller.

Trading several days of sanding, supplies, and then still not getting into all the nooks and crannies... leads me to professional blasting,

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I keep coming back to blasting as well - though carefully as I have had a zealous blaster ruin some panels.

I am intrigued by mobile dustless blasting as it goes on wet and seems to be much easier on metal + they come to you.

This is in your area.

https://uglyblaster.com/

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I gather they add something to the water to prevent flash rusting. That place is about 50 miles from me. May call to see what they would charge to come out and do it.

If I sand blast the tub I will do it myself.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I'd think that unless you either (1) won't need blasting at all, or (2) somehow save over $200 in blasting costs, this $200 tool is just another thing to take up shelf space after having a few hours of fun. If you're already able to do the blasting yourself, at no cost, the tool *might* be a time saver.

Frugal Tom

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The time saving was what I was hoping for. Blasting is not the most pleasant task to have to do so anything to speed up the work is a plus. In some areas it may speed up the work.
Also I gather on flat panels like the bonnet sand blasting can cause some distortion. They claim the Surface Conditioning Tool does not heat up the metal.

David

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I think any kind of abrasive can heat the metal if not used right.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Paul, that is beautiful!

Maybe I should clarify my preference for blasting: On "smooth" or continuous curves like shown by Paul, flapper wheels or similar are great. I find the problem comes when there are corners and bumps, which a flapper wheel can't reach. Or if the pitting is "deep" but harmless. "Deep", for example, on a frame, where there is significant metal thickness, and cosmetics are less important. Flapper wheel grinding to bare metal could remove a lot of metal.

Back to the original question, could you do a TR3 tub with a flapper wheel? I suppose yes, but the corners will be difficult to get to, and any spot weld bumps. Perhaps augmenting with hand sanding, a Dremel tool, or one of those multipurpose tools to get in all the nooks and crannies?

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
On reviewing several youtube videos not by Eastwood I may go the flapper disc route. The SCT may not reach into a lot of areas on the tub.

David

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Where did you find the box of 100 Discs? E Bay?

David
Yes David, ebay, they come in finer grits also, I like a 120 grit, you use more of them but they create a more polished finish. A coarse grit is fine for heavy stuff if you don't apply much pressure. Expensive if you buy one at a time, as in Lowes or Home Depot. PJ

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I keep coming back to blasting as well - though carefully as I have had a zealous blaster ruin some panels.

I am intrigued by mobile dustless blasting as it goes on wet and seems to be much easier on metal + they come to you.

This is in your area.

https://uglyblaster.com/

I use my own form of "dustless" blasting. I use a pressure tank blaster and glass media. I hold a water nozzle set to mist in front of the blast nozzle. I spread some cheap tarps on the driveway. I have a fenced concrete apron area in front of my shop. The water seems to drop the spend glass and paint onto the tarp. I wait a few days for the water to evaporate then sweep the tarps. After blasting I blow off the piece with compresses air and apply Eastwood After Blast. I don't know of any method besides blasting to clean some projects. Manure spreader wheel were my last blast project.

DSCN1876 (1280x960).jpg