• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

khakis

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
[from the CarTalk website]

keys.jpg

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hah, I remember when I went east once and the further along we got the harder it was to understand folk.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Bostonian's have a language all their own, I never could understand those folks without thinking about it and sometimes that didn't even work. :devilgrin: PJ

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I've posted this before in the past but this thread reminds me of a great "misheard lyrics" video of Joe Cocker at Woodstock. Reposted for those who forgot or haven't seen it yet.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Since moving to Roanoke,I'm having to learn to speak "Southern".

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Since moving to Roanoke,I'm having to learn to speak "Southern".

First comes "Big ol"

then "Fixin to"

and only third is "y'all"

and of course all y'all

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was think'n about gett'n some tars for the GT.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I was think'n about gett'n some tars for the GT.

In keeping with the season

In a small Southern town there was a "Nativity Scene" that showed great skill and talent had gone into creating it. One small feature bothered me. The three wise men were wearing firemen's helmets. Totally unable to come up with a reason or explanation, I left.

At a "Quick Stop" on the edge of town, I asked the lady behind the counter about the helmets. She exploded into a rage, yelling at me, "You **** Yankees never do read the Bible!" I assured her that I did, but simply couldn't recall anything about firemen in the Bible. She jerked her Bible from behind the counter and ruffled through some pages, and finally jabbed her finger at a passage. Sticking it in my face she said
"See, it says right here, 'The three wise man came from afar.'"

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
In keeping with the season

In a small Southern town there was a "Nativity Scene" that showed great skill and talent had gone into creating it. One small feature bothered me. The three wise men were wearing firemen's helmets. Totally unable to come up with a reason or explanation, I left.

At a "Quick Stop" on the edge of town, I asked the lady behind the counter about the helmets. She exploded into a rage, yelling at me, "You **** Yankees never do read the Bible!" I assured her that I did, but simply couldn't recall anything about firemen in the Bible. She jerked her Bible from behind the counter and ruffled through some pages, and finally jabbed her finger at a passage. Sticking it in my face she said
"See, it says right here, 'The three wise man came from afar.'"

LOL!! :arms:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
People are losing their regional accents. When I got to school in Philadelphia back in the '50s, I was amazed how people talked. Philafia, consteetution, Iggles, Baldeemore- a city awn the bay,and a peculiar pronunciation of "Coke" that I can't even spell; Baltimore itself(Ballimir, Mirilin).I also met students from all over the country and learned some great accents - midwest (wahter not wawter, Chicawgo), upstate NY,(Rah'chster, apple(a almost rhymes with ain't) down East(famous hockey player-Bawbby Aw) Southern. Connecticut? Not so much. Brichport, Stamford(rhymes with stamp only stronger). I find regional accents live on with firemen, policemen & locals. Otherwise - too much mobility, radio and tv.