• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

bt7 head surprise

• Thread starter Deleted member 21878
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21878

got my head and block back from the machine shop. while blowing out all the passages i found this in the one coolant passage. fullsizeoutput_17b.jpg had to break it a few times to get it out. first i thought it was something from the casting. still not sure. it was hard to break and pretty brittle.

block and head picsDSCN0393.jpgDSCN0394.jpgDSCN0397.jpg

CraigC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It looks like one of the wires that support/strengthen the cores when the block/head were cast. Not uncommon.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Drone Dog, I plan to follow your engine build if your choose to share. Will this be built for moderate performance? Webers, Headers, Fuel Injection? This is going to be fun! Good luck and keep letting us know your progress and pitfalls. GONZO

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

Gonzo
you give me way too much credit. this engine will hopefully be built to "run." i think taking this engine to that next level really takes some planning and i am not there yet. this is my first attempt at such a project. i have done a number of other cars to one degree or another but none to this degree. of course i am retired now so i have a lot more time to do more. and i really enjoy doing it.

having said that i am also aware that this car will never be a top end Healey. i would have needed to do a lot more than i am doing and spend a lot more money than the car would probably ever be worth or i can afford. my goal for this engine, as well as the car, is a nice driver. to me the fun is in the build. if not for the internet i am sure i would not have taken on such a project. hence all my silly questions.

but i will be happy to share all i can. i certainly get enough help from others.

at this point i have gotten my crank, block and head back from the machine shop. my original hope was the engine would be in fine shape and i would just need to do some minor work to get it running. but when checking the main bearings, i knew that was not the case. the crank was turned to 10 over on the main and rod journals. the cylinders looked really good so we just reamed the top and honed them. they are standard bore. originally i thought they had liners in them but discovered they did not. just looked that way from the bottom of the engine.

at this point i have ordered bearings, rings, and a host of other parts to start this rebuild. i ordered them thru Tom's toys in oregon on the end of year sale. with Christmas coming i knew i was going to be very limited on time over the next couple of weeks. So right now i am just trying to get prepared. first thing is i wanted to get some paint on the engine parts before too much rust starts to form. So yesterday and today i have been painting. (some parts i had painted while waiting for the machine work to get done.) i realize i will probably have to hit it all again once assembled but i wanted to get some paint on now.
a couple picsIMG_0297.jpgIMG_0298.jpg DSCN0348.jpgfullsizeoutput_177.jpg

thats about it for now. i realize there will be some surprises. (see thread on cam bearings) but that is part of the fun. And expect lots of questions to come.... for instance i just read somewhere that the head bolts should not be run down to the manual spec but hand tightened. they could crack the block if torqued. not there yet so i have not worried about it. one step at a time.... ha

Attachments

• DSCN0345.jpg
    DSCN0345.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 111
OP
D

Deleted member 21878

after thinking about it, i guess i do have four planned modifications for the engine.

1) convert to negative ground. i have a new electronic fuel pump from SU pumps.

2) alternator: i ordered the conversion kit from Hendrix. i also purchased a Delco alternator. both are painted and ready to go.

3) spin on oil filter conversion / also from hendrix

4) pertronix ignition and coil.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Those are all great modifications. I have done 3 of the 4 you listed. (still have a generator). Put one more on that list for sometime, now or in the future, a 3.54 rear differential. That's the best thing I've done in the past 50 years of Healey ownership.
One of the wonderful things about all the photos members post is seeing their work spaces. Always a joy seeing what they hang on their walls and how neat or messy their work space. Certainly adds to the enjoyment of watching someone else's rebuild.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I did the head on my 80 Spit and the head on my GT6 and both had stuff in the passages, almost thought it would have over heated the GT6.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You might consider a gear reduction starter. Turns engine over faster than stock lump. Running one of these for about a year now without issue except that I'm getting tired of the sound it makes. Too modern and hyper. Just reinstalled the original lump over the weekend and it's still up to the task of starting "on the button". One somewhat lazy wrrr and vrooom! I also finished a engine compression check with it installed and there were no issues - then again I had none before the GRS was installed. Keep at it Drone Dog, a good part of a restoration is the journey and satisfaction of a job well done. Take your time and enjoy. GONZO