• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Snowy Owl

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
After 30 years of fruitless looking, I spotted my first Snowy Owl -a youngster - perched on a utility pole at Bridgeport Airport. (Tried to upload picture - failed to upload).

Basil

Administrator
Boss
After 30 years of fruitless looking, I spotted my first Snowy Owl -a youngster - perched on a utility pole at Bridgeport Airport. (Tried to upload picture - failed to upload).

I just sent you an email with my email to send the picture = I'll post it for ya!

Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss

Here ya go!

Snowy Owl Dec. 6, 2017 copy.jpg

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks. It's not yet snowy white- barred immature young bird. There's another one around - a white adult - but we never saw it. This is a good year for them so far. Must be a shortage of lemmings up north.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Here's a version I did a little "post processing" on in a program called "Lightroom". Just tried to pull out some more detail from the shadows.

Snow Owl PP.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good shot, amazing "sighting" as well. :thumbsup:

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Guess what? My daughter called me at 7:15 this morning to tell me another Snowy has been sighting on rocks off Shippan Point by a well-known local birder, right here in Stamford. Wife and I headed down there and indeed, it was low tide and the Owl, almost a pure-white adult, was sitting on a pile of rocks out in the water. Since high tide is coming, he'll have to move somewhere - maybe Greenwich Point. My picture is too blurry to post here. I don't have one of those 15" long lenses. Some of those cost about $15K. A bit rich for me. I could buy a TR6 for that kind of money.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
What a beauty! We have a pair of Great Horned Owls battling for nesting and mating territory high above the pine trees in our backyard. Mostly hooting and squawking but sometimes all out combat. Big birds with even bigger talons and wingspands about 5 FT maybe 6. I like them but rather noisy at 3AM.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Ever hear a Limpkin at 3 am in Florida? If you have not - google it.
We have at least 3 species of owls near my house. Great Horned, Barred and Screech.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
What a beauty! We have a pair of Great Horned Owls battling for nesting and mating territory high above the pine trees in our backyard. Mostly hooting and squawking but sometimes all out combat. Big birds with even bigger talons and wingspands about 5 FT maybe 6. I like them but rather noisy at 3AM.

Reminds me of the scene in My Cousin Vinny when Vinny is invited to stay at a cabin in the woods and is unceremoniously awakened by a screeching owl in the wee hours.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have been known to enjoy some bird watching.