• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question on MIG wire feed

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I'm just setting up my new Eastwood 250MP welder and am having trouble with the wire feed. When not triggered I can move the end of the wire at the tip a half inch ore more. There is that much slack in the core. I sent a video to Eastwood and was told that this is normal. It doesn't seem right to me. I don't have a way to post the video but if anyone is interested, send me a pm and I'll email it to you.
Here's what seems to be happening. To start I need to trim the wire and then push it back into the gun tip. Then as long as I don't release the trigger it welds nicely, see bottom weld on bracket. But as soon as I start and stop it messes up (of course could be me messing up and the problem has nothing to do with the slack wire), see the weld at the top.
Any advice?

Tom

Attachments

• weld bracket.jpg
    weld bracket.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 169

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Both my machines have play as you describe and work fine. If you hold the gun in the air and pull the trigger, do you get a steady movement of the wire or lurching? Wire speed and heat have to be in synch or you will "woodpecker" (wire too fast or heat too low) or burn the wire back to the tip inside the shield (wire too slow or heat too high).
Bob

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Looks like you are losing sight of the work while the arc is going and getting off line or unsteady about where you put the wire. Try striking the arc, going 1/4 inch and stopping so you can see where to orient the wire for the next arc.
Bob

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Looks like you are losing sight of the work while the arc is going and getting off line or unsteady about where you put the wire. Try striking the arc, going 1/4 inch and stopping so you can see where to orient the wire for the next arc.
Bob
The start-stop is what the machine doesn't seem to like. As for the drift, he hand is not as steady as it once was but I can live with that (or have to). Thanks Bob for confirming that the wire slack is not necessarily unusual. My old welder had no slack but a much shorter torch line. The new one is 15 ft. I guess I'll be looking for another cause for the issue.

Hillbillybarr

Freshman Member
None of the MIGs I've owned have done that. My current MIG is a Lincoln 250 and it's wire doesn't move unless I press the button. Is your wire feed clamp pressure correct?

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
None of the MIGs I've owned have done that. My current MIG is a Lincoln 250 and it's wire doesn't move unless I press the button. Is your wire feed clamp pressure correct?

Good timing as I have been away for the winter and just getting she shop sorted. Welder is at the top of my list now. I think the slack in the core is due to the long 20 ft hose so that may be normal. The slack is beyond the feed rollers which I am confident are adjusted properly. My next project will be getting into the drag mechanism on the spool.
Thanks for the reply.
Tom

JimLaney

I think you are on the right track with the drag mechanism. If the spool can continue to move after the trigger is released, it can produce slack between each re-start of the weld.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I think you are on the right track with the drag mechanism. If the spool can continue to move after the trigger is released, it can produce slack between each re-start of the weld.
Good you agree, but it seems to be just the opposite, I can't get it to go slack, even if I take the spring right out. Not much tension with it all loose but not "freewheeling" either. I'm sorry to say I've been busy with other issues and this has been on the back burner. I'll try to get a look tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks for the reply.
Tom