Thread: Question on MIG wire feed

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Question on MIG wire feed

I'm just setting up my new Eastwood 250MP welder and am having trouble with the wire feed. When not triggered I can move the end of the wire at the tip a half inch ore more. There is that much slack in the core. I sent a video to Eastwood and was told that this is normal. It doesn't seem right to me. I don't have a way to post the video but if anyone is interested, send me a pm and I'll email it to you.
    Here's what seems to be happening. To start I need to trim the wire and then push it back into the gun tip. Then as long as I don't release the trigger it welds nicely, see bottom weld on bracket. But as soon as I start and stop it messes up (of course could be me messing up and the problem has nothing to do with the slack wire), see the weld at the top.
    Any advice?

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1960 TR3A TS73117 (under restoration year 6, owned since 1964)
    1959 TR3A TS58023 (in case I never finish the one above)
    1969 Triumph Herald 13/60 (a whim)
    1973 Buick Apollo (was Dad's car)
    1992 BMW325IC (fun to drive)

Chats

Re: Question on MIG wire feed

Both my machines have play as you describe and work fine. If you hold the gun in the air and pull the trigger, do you get a steady movement of the wire or lurching? Wire speed and heat have to be in synch or you will "woodpecker" (wire too fast or heat too low) or burn the wire back to the tip inside the shield (wire too slow or heat too high).
    Bob

Chats

Looks like you are losing sight of the work while the arc is going and getting off line or unsteady about where you put the wire. Try striking the arc, going 1/4 inch and stopping so you can see where to orient the wire for the next arc.
    Bob

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by bobhustead View Post
    Looks like you are losing sight of the work while the arc is going and getting off line or unsteady about where you put the wire. Try striking the arc, going 1/4 inch and stopping so you can see where to orient the wire for the next arc.
    Bob
    The start-stop is what the machine doesn't seem to like. As for the drift, he hand is not as steady as it once was but I can live with that (or have to). Thanks Bob for confirming that the wire slack is not necessarily unusual. My old welder had no slack but a much shorter torch line. The new one is 15 ft. I guess I'll be looking for another cause for the issue.
    1960 TR3A TS73117 (under restoration year 6, owned since 1964)
    1959 TR3A TS58023 (in case I never finish the one above)
    1969 Triumph Herald 13/60 (a whim)
    1973 Buick Apollo (was Dad's car)
    1992 BMW325IC (fun to drive)