• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A radio mounting plate

friar mike

Freshman Member
Hi this is my first post here I have a 1955 tr3 I am in the process of a full off the frame restoration.
I noticed the glove box hole had a plate in it bolted in and covered with upholstery so I pulled it off and took the upholstery off and found a square hole in it like for a radio now this car did have a radio at one time but not now.
This plate is die cut and the mounting studs are the same as the Guage panel uses.
This is not homemade also where the glove box door hinge screws go the holes are in the steel but the dash covering has never been punch through so screws have never been in and the dash covering is original.
So far I can find no information on this as far as I know the only radio mount was under the dash on the tunnel I looked for screw hole in the tunnel and there in no holes so it didn't have a radio there.
I would post photos but I don't know how to on this site.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Welcome! I was just going to ask for pics. Don't know of any other radio mounts then the under dash. To post a pic go to Go Advance button bottom right corner and it's pretty straight forward from there.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Early cars did have the option of a tube radio, with the control head mounted through the cubby box; a large square box of electronics mounted separately behind that, and a big speaker located in the RH side kick panel. This was before the tunnel mount, though I'm not certain of the change point offhand. The hole in the kick panel was also punched even on cars without the radio for quite a while.

Here's a photo album from WillE
https://s613.photobucket.com/user/WillE_1234/slideshow/TR2/?albumview=slideshow

PS, Welcome to the asylum!

Last edited:
OP
F

friar mike

Freshman Member
Yep that's it!
I kinda thought the was the case.
This tr I tried to buy in 1973 I didn't even have a license yet fast forward 4 months ago some how she came back to me so I own it now but it hasn't aged well and I should have me head examined it's going to need to have about 60% of its body replace.
Who ever bought this car new he ordered it with everything he could including the hard top it has never even had a soft top on it.
Well I am going to start a page on its story and restoring soon.
Sorry I still not see how to post photos and I have posted photos on many other sites so I have done it before I am just not seeing it here.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry I still not see how to post photos and I have posted photos on many other sites so I have done it before I am just not seeing it here.
Look for this icon in the bar above the area where you type. On my screen, it's the 3rd from the right (YMMV). Clicking that should give you a pop-up window where you can choose either "From Computer" or "From URL". Choose "From Computer", then click the "Browse" button. Select your file, click "Open", then "Upload File(s)". The result will often be a thumbnail, but folks can click on that for a larger version (size is still limited, though).
UNTITLED.JPG