Thread: coil spring finish

Freshman Member
    Chats

coil spring finish

What sort of paint is best to use on the coil spring? I was wondering if there is a problem with cracking due to flexing of the spring. Powdercoat? Rattle can? POR?

Thanks.

Re: coil spring finish

I've sprayed many springs with good old rattle can enamel and it last forever. But one of the best of the rattle can enamels is stuff that is sometimes labeled as " Farm Machinery Enamel". Such colours as Gray, or John Deere Green or Yellow are very popular uses for this type of paint. Get it in any colour you want. If springs are rusty I treat them to a product called Extend made by Locktight Co. The combination is unbeatable.
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Luke Skywalker
    Chats

I used a product that used to be called Finnigan's Hammerite smooth. The firm has been incorporated into another and the formulation has changed, I think for the worst but I must say it has been effective on my springs. They were given 2 coats as were the suspension arms many years ago and it is still good now.

Bob

Chats

I had mine powder coated semi gloss black on my driver. They look great. No cracks after spirited driving.

Freshman Member
    Chats

Thanks for the recommendations.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    I had mine powder coated along with other suspension parts and the folks that did the work said the powder coating flexes with the springs. I did mine on gloss black.
    Patrick
    '67 Metallic Golden Beige/Red
    Owned since '72