Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beauty Rings Don't Fit

Chats

Beauty Rings Don't Fit

A couple of years ago I purchased a set of beauty rings for my 1960 TR3A from Victoria British . This past summer I tried to install them and could not get them to slide onto the rim. Chewed the heck out of my freshly painted rim too. Didn't want to pound too hard so I wouldn't dent them. What could I be doing wrong or has anyone else run into this problem.

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Re: Beauty Rings Don't Fit

Beauty rings on a TR3-----EEEEHHHHH---YUKKKK.
    You should be happy that they didn't fit.
    Just my opinion.
    Charley
    Charley
    1962 TR4
    1963 TR4
    1959 TR3A A work in progress.

Chats

Ok, I was going to ask what a beauty ring was but I looked it up.
    Wheel rim trims?

Chats

I use original TR6 trim rings (on my TR6 wheels), and they do chew up the paint. You can't be shy about pounding them on, either. I put one side on partway, then hold it there while whacking the other side with the side of my fist, about as hard as I can without hurting myself too much. Once both sides are started, I work my way around pounding until it's seated all the way.
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71 Stag LE2013LBW waiting gearbox rebuild

Chats

Having had my left hand cut open from the ring finger to the wrist, to graft veins, I highly recommend the purchase of a rubber mallet. The non-medical term is "hammer hand". I still catch myself getting ready to hit the end of something with the palm of my hand.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Kleykamp View Post
    ...I still catch myself getting ready to hit the end of something with the palm of my hand.
    Yes, sometimes it is better to just talk things out with the child or the spouse.

Chats

But getting back to your original question, I have the same rings and they don't really fit all that great. They do chew up the rims, don't sit square and you will lose one on the road sooner or later. Too bad, 'cause they look great when they are on (just my opinion).
    Joe

'58 TR3A TS33077L
    '75 TR6 CF37629U
    www.cptc.org

Chats

Man all I wanted to do was make my wheels look better not deface my body. Since I didn't want to spend $800 on white walled tires at the time I purchased black walls. Every time I walked by my car I hated the look. Anyway I saw a picture on a local paint jobbers calendar of a silver TR3 that had black walled tyres with the beauty rings. I thought it looked pretty good and would satisfy my disappointment. Well you read my post and I was worried to dent the ring with a rubber mallet. I'll make sure my medical insurance is paid up before I stare wailing on them. Maybe I just just bite the bullet and get some Minilites.

Chats

I had the wheels (Panasport) off the TR6 to do some work and tried one on the TR3 just for giggles. Looked really good but in a different sort of way. It's not a Sunday afternoon ride in the country look, it's a boy racer get out of my way look.
    Joe

'58 TR3A TS33077L
    '75 TR6 CF37629U
    www.cptc.org

Jedi Hopeful
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by trglory View Post
    I had the wheels (Panasport) off the TR6 to do some work and tried one on the TR3 just for giggles. Looked really good but in a different sort of way. It's not a Sunday afternoon ride in the country look, it's a boy racer get out of my way look.
    I was seriously considering Minilites for my TR3A because I was having problems getting my steel wheels straight, until I read discussion on a forum claiming that they were not period correct. I tried to imagine what they would look like on my car after viewing photos of others and soured on the idea. I think that the forum discussion was the tipping point. I'll live with the steel wheels.

Chats

Good time to have this discussion.....TRF just put Panasports on sale today.
    Joe

'58 TR3A TS33077L
    '75 TR6 CF37629U
    www.cptc.org

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by frankfast View Post
    I was seriously considering Minilites for my TR3A because I was having problems getting my steel wheels straight, until I read discussion on a forum claiming that they were not period correct.
    Well, technically, Minilites weren't introduced until 1964. So I guess it really depends on which "period" you are concerned about. But lightweight alloy wheels were already in common usage on more exotic cars (like this 1924 Bugatti)

And were a fairly popular aftermarket retrofit to the TR2/3. They were even available from Triumph in the mid-60s.
    untitled.JPG
    Randall

Chats

ARE (American Racing Equipment) wheels, about like a surrey top, hard to find and expensive when you do find a good set. I have one set left that are going on a 250.
    Marv

Chats

My 56 with aftermarket wheels. Sure rides and drives better with them on it but thinking seriously about wires.
    Marvimage.jpg

Chats

Marv, you have a great looking 3!
    Best, Kevin Browne
    '59 TR3A #TS58370L
    Look for The Curse of Oak Island on The History Channel

Chats

Yes, it is a fact that a good set of tires and alloy wheels are far superior to wires or the standard steel rims. I learned that when I put a set on my TR6. They changed the entire character of the car for the better. The TR6 wheels have a lot of class, but I'll be reluctant go back.
    Joe

'58 TR3A TS33077L
    '75 TR6 CF37629U
    www.cptc.org

Chats

Does anyone(minilite, panasport, etc.) make new TR3 alloys that have a rim width of less than 5.5"? I've been thinking about a set for my 3A, but seriously wish to avoid the boy-racer look of wider wheels. Thanks!

Jedi Hopeful
    Chats

What is the origin of the term "boy racer"? The AJS 7R motorcycle was known as the 'Boy Racer' but don't know how the term came to being.

Quote Originally Posted by groupdeville View Post
    Does anyone(minilite, panasport, etc.) make new TR3 alloys that have a rim width of less than 5.5"? I've been thinking about a set for my 3A, but seriously wish to avoid the boy-racer look of wider wheels. Thanks!
    165 tires can be mounted on 5.5" rims. Someone around here can probably post a picture.
    Μᾶρκον

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by frankfast View Post
    What is the origin of the term "boy racer"? The AJS 7R motorcycle was known as the 'Boy Racer' but don't know how the term came to being.
    I dunno, but it's been around a long time, even used in Queen's "I'm in Love with my Car" back in 1975. The US authorities had pretty much outlawed any real performance enhancements or even performance cars at the time, so bling became the order of the day. You'd see little 4 banger rice rockets that could maybe break 80 downhill with a tailwind wearing big wild tails to give more downforce at 120; not to mention the CD exhausts.
    Randall