• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Toyota Transmission conversion

jhedge

Freshman Member
Hello to all.

I am in the process of converting Tr6 4 speed to a Toyota W58 using HVDA Kit. However my mechanic purchased MK3 Model. Toyota has discontinued conversion part number
33502-14100 shown below. Does anyone know where I can purchase the needed part to convert shifter to correct position. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe H.
Triumph Tr6.png

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have you spoken to Herman? He should be able to help.

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I hope you know to change that piece you have to split the trans Herman is a very nice man to deal with but get him on the phone to talk to him you might not have to change that piece his shifter extension might work I hope your mechanic reads all the directions first and go over the video the measurement for the shims is very important go to Bob Danielsons site he goes through it step by step very informative there are a few tricks that make it somewhat easier not a hard conversion but lining up the splines can be a bitch

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Joe,
you say that you need a Toyota part. But Herman's kit includes the actual part that you need. It is a part that Herman makes it is not a Toyota part. If you have the wrong kit from Herman you need to work with him to exchange that part or parts to get exactly what you need. He has the kits for these cars, you just need the correct one.
Most often our interactions with somebody like Herman are hampered by our own lack of understanding what we really need.
But Herman's kits are complete. Or at least the five that I have worked with were.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It may be possible to have your part modified. Cutting and welding to eliminate the extra length in your shifter housing. Take a look at this link. Yes they are doing the opposite of what you need to do. They have extender their shifter. But the process is the same.

https://www.google.com/search?q=SC3...iw=1280&bih=592&dpr=1.5#imgrc=LqD6A1TOY6TiyM:

In this picture. The smaller part is what you need.

https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?56444-Mike-s-(Supersubs-s)-Big-Boy-Build/page62

The W58 appears to be a very popular transmission for Japanese hot rods and rock crawlers. At least one post I read mentioned people wanting to put a W58 into pieces of crap like an MGA. The general impression I get is the guys who are looking to put a W58 into a rock crawler or a later model Japanese car require the longer shift housing. It wouldn't surprise me if they are throwing away the part you need.

Bob

OP
J

jhedge

Freshman Member
Bob

I think you are right about the conversion piece. The Tuner crowd is probably discarding the piece I need. Welding is my last resort but if necessary will do. Will check with Herman first or join the celica site and see if any out there may want to trade.

Thanks for your help.

Joe H.

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I hope you know to change that piece you have to split the trans Herman is a very nice man to deal with but get him on the phone to talk to him you might not have to change that piece his shifter extension might work I hope your mechanic reads all the directions first and go over the video the measurement for the shims is very important go to Bob Danielsons site he goes through it step by step very informative there are a few tricks that make it somewhat easier not a hard conversion but lining up the splines can be a bitch

I just did this conversion on my TR4 and the site you mention is pretty much spot on to the instructions Herman gives in his kit. I bled mine and it seems perfect. Now...just need to get her running so I can actually drive it and try the conversion.