Thread: TR3 Heater

Chats

TR3 Heater

I just spent about an hour this afternoon removing the heater in my 61 TR3. The fan would not work, so my plan was to install a aftermarket universal heater. I got the heater out, and after messing with it for a while, I got the fan to work. My question is, should I just put it back in, or go ahead with the plan to replace it. I know from my past TR3's, the heater in them is pretty anemic. Has anyone here ever put a universal heater in, and if so, where did you get it, what kind, and is it worth the time and money? I have been looking at Summit Racing, and Speedway Motors.
    Gary

Chats

Re: TR3 Heater

I installed on of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Maradyne-H-50.../dp/B007S7OHSE

http://www.my12voltstore.com/Maradyn...030_p/5030.htm

But only because I had no heater at all. If I had had an original unit I would have tried to make that work first.

Chats

Given my past experience with the stock unit; I'd go the aftermarket route. Or at least try Bob Schaller's suggestion of an early Spitfire heater box.

untitled.jpg
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71 Stag LE2013LBW waiting gearbox rebuild

Chats

Here is how I used the Maradyne...

The unit as shipped:

I made a cardboard mock-up to trial fit and plan needed modifications:

I had to rotate the body 180, drill those big holes and add elbows and connectors on the input & outlet:

The unit in place - the core was rotated so the 'door' and the tubes would be on the same side:

Less obvious from a more normal point of view:

Gary,

You also may want to check out this heater, which was discussed on the TR Register (UK) forum:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/...ll#entry551483

The thread has links to this heater: http://www.t7design.co.uk/products/h...vents-12v.html
    and a discussion on installation. Here's a couple of installed photos. TR3 Heater Install Photo 1.jpgTR3 Heater Install Photo 2.jpg

It looks to be very compact, works well and can use the current TR3 rheostat.
    Keith

1966 Spitfire MKII (1972-1975)
    1962 TR3B TCF1183L (1979-1982)
    1957 TR3 TS20447LO (2017-)

Luke Skywalker
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by TR3driver View Post
    Given my past experience with the stock unit; I'd go the aftermarket route. Or at least try Bob Schaller's suggestion of an early Spitfire heater box.
    untitled.jpg
    I'd go with Randall's suggestion. I did Shaller's heater conversion years ago. It fits nicely,throws lots of heat and way cheaper than a new repo round unit

Chats

Thanks for all the reply's and ideas. I am going to put the original back in for now, and see if it keeps working. If not, will try one of your suggestions. Geo, that is the heater I have been looking at, but didn't realize that it was going to take all the conversion that you did. I can handle the turning the core 180 degrees, but don't know about the elbows on the fittings. Would they fit if I just put a 90 degree hose on them, or are they to close to the wiring? I really like the heater that Keith showed, and would maybe pursue that one. Anyway, thanks for the help.
    Gary

As an aside, that Maradyne heater has a lot of history. The original design goes back to the Hupp company, which is a direct descendant of the company that made the Huppmobile car up to about 1938. After the car business went kaflooey, the reorganized and were a manufacturer of industrial products like heaters until 1991 when bankruptcy hit. Maradyne continues on with spme of the Hupp designs, including the Tucson 5000 series.

How do I know all this? When I got my 1940 Buick a few years ago, it had a Hupp aftermarket unit installed. It was an ugly gold hammertone that screamed late 1950s. So I pulled it out, rebuilt the 6V motor, stripped the body, and repainted in black wrinkle more in keeping with my car's vintage. The reason I did all of this is that the heater is visible to the car passengers. When I found out its lineage, further checking revealed the Tucson will directly drop into place in my car using the same firewall openings. But I like the way the old one works!

Cheers, Dave
    _DSC4432 (Large).jpg
    Dave Stovall

1957 TR-3 TS214XX
    1940 Buick Super Coupe 56S

Chats

For a daily-driver TR, you can also approximate the size and layout of the Hupp heater with the heater unit from a 1980s Japanese pickup truck. I think the one I have is from a Toyota. It took some removal of extra sheet metal from the housing and other fiddling with, but it was cheap and the Japanese heater is still in the car after 30 years and still working fine. About the same heat output as the Hupp aftermarket heater that I used to have in a Morgan 4/4.

You taking out a good smiths heater core? If so, I’d be interested in taking it off your hands for you.
    *1959 TR3A
    *1951 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe
    *1986 GMC Sierra Classic

Chats

I just wish the TR3 heater would be as warm and toasty at the ones in any of my old Datsun 2000 roadsters.

That, was a proper heater!
    Best, Kevin Browne
    '59 TR3A #TS58370L
    Look for The Curse of Oak Island on The History Channel