• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Heater

parkerg1

I just spent about an hour this afternoon removing the heater in my 61 TR3. The fan would not work, so my plan was to install a aftermarket universal heater. I got the heater out, and after messing with it for a while, I got the fan to work. My question is, should I just put it back in, or go ahead with the plan to replace it. I know from my past TR3's, the heater in them is pretty anemic. Has anyone here ever put a universal heater in, and if so, where did you get it, what kind, and is it worth the time and money? I have been looking at Summit Racing, and Speedway Motors.
Gary

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I installed on of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Maradyne-H-503012-Heat-5000-Heater/dp/B007S7OHSE

https://www.my12voltstore.com/Maradyne_12_Volt_Heater_12_500_BTU_Model_5030_p/5030.htm

5030-2T.jpg

But only because I had no heater at all. If I had had an original unit I would have tried to make that work first.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Given my past experience with the stock unit; I'd go the aftermarket route. Or at least try Bob Schaller's suggestion of an early Spitfire heater box.

untitled.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Here is how I used the Maradyne...

The unit as shipped:

5eBvP77.jpg

I made a cardboard mock-up to trial fit and plan needed modifications:

tVwEO5z.jpg

I had to rotate the body 180°, drill those big holes and add elbows and connectors on the input & outlet:

iwAvPUM.jpg

The unit in place - the core was rotated so the 'door' and the tubes would be on the same side:

EWMAcBq.jpg

Less obvious from a more normal point of view:

hWcDb5n.jpg

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
OP
parkerg1

parkerg1

Thanks for all the reply's and ideas. I am going to put the original back in for now, and see if it keeps working. If not, will try one of your suggestions. Geo, that is the heater I have been looking at, but didn't realize that it was going to take all the conversion that you did. I can handle the turning the core 180 degrees, but don't know about the elbows on the fittings. Would they fit if I just put a 90 degree hose on them, or are they to close to the wiring? I really like the heater that Keith showed, and would maybe pursue that one. Anyway, thanks for the help.
Gary

Daves1957TR-3

As an aside, that Maradyne heater has a lot of history. The original design goes back to the Hupp company, which is a direct descendant of the company that made the Huppmobile car up to about 1938. After the car business went kaflooey, the reorganized and were a manufacturer of industrial products like heaters until 1991 when bankruptcy hit. Maradyne continues on with spme of the Hupp designs, including the Tucson 5000 series.

How do I know all this? When I got my 1940 Buick a few years ago, it had a Hupp aftermarket unit installed. It was an ugly gold hammertone that screamed late 1950s. So I pulled it out, rebuilt the 6V motor, stripped the body, and repainted in black wrinkle more in keeping with my car's vintage. The reason I did all of this is that the heater is visible to the car passengers. When I found out its lineage, further checking revealed the Tucson will directly drop into place in my car using the same firewall openings. But I like the way the old one works!

Cheers, Dave
_DSC4432 (Large).jpg

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
For a daily-driver TR, you can also approximate the size and layout of the Hupp heater with the heater unit from a 1980s Japanese pickup truck. I think the one I have is from a Toyota. It took some removal of extra sheet metal from the housing and other fiddling with, but it was cheap and the Japanese heater is still in the car after 30 years and still working fine. About the same heat output as the Hupp aftermarket heater that I used to have in a Morgan 4/4.

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
You taking out a good smiths heater core? If so, I’d be interested in taking it off your hands for you.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I just wish the TR3 heater would be as warm and toasty at the ones in any of my old Datsun 2000 roadsters.

That, was a proper heater!