• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"New" Logan Lathe

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I just got this Logan model 200 Lathe. It's from the 1950's as far as I can tell. I had to disassemble parts of it to get it moved onto my trailer, including the switch and motor. The motor is a 1/2 horse Walker Turner "Driver" that is listed as 110/220 on the ID plate. The PO said that it was 110 but when I went to plug it in, I found a 15 amp 220 plug on the cord. I do have 240 service in the garage, but no outlet where the lathe is. So the question is, should I make an extension cord or just change the plug on the lathe until I can put a 220 line to it. Right now I'd just like to see if the motor and switch work. Do I need to change anything on the motor to switch voltage.

Attachments

• logan lathe.jpg
    logan lathe.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 57

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Tom
Don't let the smoke out of the motor!!
If you don't know too much about the motor wiring then find someone who does.
On something of that age you will probably need to open up the coverplate on the motor and change wire positions for the two voltages- there are often some specs printed on the cover.
Be careful! That thing will be fun when it is running!!
Bill

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
+1 Got to change the wiring at the motor to run on 110. Basically there will be two windings that are in series for 220 operation, but parallel for 110.
Sometimes the start winding also has to be changed, but often not.
If the info isn't inside the plate, try Google.

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I have several 240V tools , including a couple of dual-voltage motors. You can easily make up a 240V extension cord. All the parts are available at your local HD or Lowe’s. There’s a chart on line that will tell you what gauge wire you need based on HP rating vs length of run, but with a half-horse motor it won’t be too thick.

There will be a plate where the wires go into the motor. Either on the front of it or the rear after you open it up will be a wiring diagram and the wires should either be color coded or have numbers on them with which ones should be connected together for 120V or 240V. If there was a 240V plug on it, it’s probably already 240. Why would he tell you otherwise? But, I have smoked a motor, so good to check.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. Jim, I can easily make a 240 adapter but don't dare to try it unless I'm sure it's 240. PO could have changed the outlet to fit the plug. I did find the diagram on the cover plate. Not much help with the rats nest of wires jammed inside. No connectors just wires twisted and soldered together and covered with friction tape. Color traces remain but very indistinct. The first pair I pulled on broke apart. Looks like I need to start from scratch as I can see no way to tell what goes where. Wish I'd tested the outlet it was plugged into at the POs shop but on the other hand, it is very much in need of rewiring. I don't know what else it needs but it did run and was relatively quiet so I'm hoping for the best.
Tom

number6

Jedi Trainee
I dunno Tom, Your garage is getting pretty full, I can see a time when you won't get any cars in there.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I dunno Tom, Your garage is getting pretty full, I can see a time when you won't get any cars in there.

Too much of a good thing I guess. Plan was to move the press and lathe into the basement with the rest of the stuff but I still need to get the car out of there first.
Tom

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Boy, it would be hugely irresponsible to run 240v connectors on a 120v circuit. NEC and all. Might it be a high amperage 115v connector?
hey, so the woodworking machinery version of our BCF is www.owwm.org. Didn’t you say your motor is a Walker Turner? My lathe is too, though not the motor. Do a search there or ask for help in the color coding of old WT motors. OWWM users love WTs!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd be jealous if I had space for that. Alas...