• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Off Topic Photobucket Fix

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I just learned about a Photobucket fix that appears to work. You can edit you prior posts with blocked Photobucket pics and add '~original' after the 'jpg' in the URL.

Now the URL within the
will read like this: https://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR4/ODDiode.jpg~original

I just tried it on this thread and my photos reappeared:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...olenoid-rubber-boot&highlight=overdrive+diode

Sometimes I try to reference a prior post I have made and run into the Photobucket ransom demand - this at least lets the original poster clean that up.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
George - that's a great work around. Where'd you find the idea?

It seems to work only if done by the original Photobucket owner of the image, but at least the owner can make the photos visible. I wonder if viewer of a post can see the image, by copying the image url and adding ~original.

(Wonder when Photobucket will block this work around too ...)
Tom M.

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
George - that's a great work around. Where'd you find the idea?

The idea came from a VW forum which got it from another forum, etc.

It seems to work only if done by the original Photobucket owner of the image, but at least the owner can make the photos visible. I wonder if viewer of a post can see the image, by copying the image url and adding ~original...

Possibly not. I tried modifying the URL from Randall's photo in that same thread but could not get the PB photo to appear.

Edit: Okay, it seems it does work if you are getting the usual PB block image:

DSCF3716-1.jpg

But not if you are looking at the one with the cat:

th_Diode%20in%20OD%20solenoid%20crop.jpg

I do not think that the original PB used has to be the one who makes the change - but certainly on BCF the original poster (or a mod) are the only ones who can do it.

Last edited:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
But not if you are looking at the one with the cat:

th_Diode%20in%20OD%20solenoid%20crop.jpg

I do not think that the original PB used has to be the one who makes the change - but certainly on BCF the original poster (or a mod) are the only ones who can do it.

My apologies for the confusion. In that particular case, I discovered that I made a mistake when installing the diode. I still believe the concept is sound, but the way I wired mine won't do any good. So I deleted the photo. I thought I had explained why, but somehow didn't do that. So with the photo no longer on PB, pretty much nothing anyone does will make it appear.

Good tip about the ~original; but I have a suspicion they will discover and block that loophole eventually as well. So I plan to continue slowly abandoning PhotoBucket and moving to Imgur (until they make the same decision, of course). If you want, you can look through what I've done so far at https://tr3driver.imgur.com/
Or if you find a particularly interesting post of mine without photos, let me know and I'll fix it.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
In my innate paranoia, I'm thinking it's not long 'til we find ourselves having to pay extra for a *lot* of 'net things we're becoming used to - and dependent on.

:gloom:

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I have no problem paying for services...so long as it's reasonable. PB charging $400 for the privileged of linking pics is just a bit steep.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Found this on another forum that I hang out on:
"If you're using Google Chrome, go to the three dots on the right side of the screen and click them. A drop down should appear. Hover your mouse over "More Tools," and when the next drop down appears, click on extensions. Go to the link towards the bottom that says "Get more extensions." In the search box, type "Photobucket Fix," and hit enter. Click the install button and once it's done, you should be able to see photobucket pictures again.

For FireFox users, click on the three bars on the right side of the screen, then click on add ons. Click search for "photobucket hotlink" and click install. Same result."

I'm a firefox user...it worked perfectly.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Jay - I just installed it. Not sure how it works yet.

Does it let me post a link to a Photobucket photo so everyone can see it?

Or does it just let me see other people's Photobucket photos?

Thanks
Tom M.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Sorry Tom, I didn't explain this "fix". It allows one to view photobucket photos on forums...not to post them.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Jay. The developer didn't give details either.

Can you point me to a post with a Photobucket photo so I can test?

Thanks.
Tom M.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Haha Tom...I did nothing (other than to pass it along). It was from a poster on britbike.com who then passed it along to garagejournal.com...where I saw it.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Jay - you might want to start a "Photobucket" thread in Pub, linking to this Triumph thread. Lots of folks might be interested in learning about this fix.

Tom M.

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Yep...I downloaded that link into Chrome a couple of months back and now I can see the Photobucket pics. Glad someone was able to find that link cuz I forgot where I saw it. Must be the same forum I hang out on! Or...it's just getting around! HAHA