• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Stone Guards

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Has anyone recently purchased a set of stone guards that fit well (or could be made to fit well)?

It has been my observation that (unlike some repro parts) the vendors do not all use the same source for these so perhaps there is a vendor with the better fit?

I expect any new ones will require some fettling, just trying to start with a set that is close.

Thanks!

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I have a set from Moss, old but still in original package, that have a disclaimer taped to them that essentially says they might not fit and they they will accept returns. Judging from some otherwise beautifully restored cars at the various shows, Moss seems to be correct with the disclaimer.
They did however say in the disclaimer that they were working to correct the problem. Don't know if they did.
TRF gets better reviews but I haven't seen them myself.
There was also at least one vendor on eBay that sold "correct" stone guards at a fairly high price but I ghaven't seen them lately.
Tom

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I found NOS guards and I still had to spend a few hours per side to get them to fit the way I liked. If you still have the ones that fit the car that will help. I put painters tape on the area while fitting so I would not damage the paint.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I've bought a total of 4 sets over 2 restorations. None of them were remotely close out of the package.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes I have had to bend, file, and twist them. Don Elliott took his old ones and body putty and painted them and they look good in the picture; plus he said people told him how nice they looked. Anyways, I am going to try that this time.

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Okay I get it - some combination of variance among cars and indifferent manufacturing seems to mean all sources need to be modified to work.

I was actually asking on behalf of a friend who recently purchased a TR3A with no stone guards at all. Thanks for the info.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Okay I get it - some combination of variance among cars and indifferent manufacturing seems to mean all sources need to be modified to work.

I was actually asking on behalf of a friend who recently purchased a TR3A with no stone guards at all. Thanks for the info.

I was lucky to pick up a new original on ebay that fit very nice.The other repro was terrible.
I think most of the problem is with poor copies rather than variation in original fenders.
tom

QCMC

Freshman Member
When I had my TR3 repainted and body work done last winter I decided to replace the original stone guards with new repos from the major Triumph vendor. The results were a disaster: did not match, flimsy, and would have been basically impossible to be fitted. Fortunately, I was able to get a relatively decent new pair (Not NOS) from the boys in CT. While far from perfect, they were able to be used after a considerable amount of work. It's too bad that decent repos do no seem to be available.

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for that lead. I now recall hearing some years ago that Sports & Classics was the better source.

Edit: Just looked and they have no more of the large, just the small -- but as I recall it is the small that was particularly a problem fit when I dealt with this some years ago (and finally re-used my old ones).

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Geo I have a set of original used beat up guards I found today. I could send them to you if you want. Might make it a little easier to get started.

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Keith -

Thanks for that offer. As I mentioned somewhere in there - I was asking on behalf of a friend who just acquired a TR3A that was apparently restored w/o the stone guards. I know some do that but they look a bit odd to me that way.

I will see him Tuesday morning and see if he can use your set.