Thread: Rarity of Stock 100! :-)

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rarity of Stock 100! :-)

So I went to test drive my BN1 at Fourintune as they completed the restoration. My car is basically stock except for a BN2 box put in back in the 60's. There are three 100's at the shop right now. Two are factory M's and mine. Thus I conclude that a stock 100 is actually rarer than an M!

20171120_144621.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Re: Rarity of Stock 100! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by simon1966 View Post
    ... I conclude that a stock 100 is actually rarer than an M!
    So it would seem! I've begun referring to non-louvered bonnets on 100s as the "ultra-rare smooth bonnet option."
    Reid Trummel
    Editor, HEALEY MARQUE magazine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Simon, your car looks really beautiful. It must have been thrilling going for a drive in it!
    Hugh
    1965 BJ8
    1958 AN5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Editor_Reid View Post
    So it would seem! I've begun referring to non-louvered bonnets on 100s as the "ultra-rare smooth bonnet option."
    My original steel bonnet was one of the steel panels that had not been really damaged by rust. I never had any doubt that it would be re-used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

That's one way of looking at it.

Another might be that most folks who are willing to fork over the big bucks for a restoration from Fourintune feel it is better spent on an M which will have a higher value than a non-M car.

My take is that this is an expenditure one need not justify. I hope you enjoy your car and drive the **** out of it.
    Last edited by Michael Oritt; 11-21-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Best--Michael Oritt
    1954 Austin-Healey 100 Lemans
    1958 Elva Courier (FOR SALE)
    1959 Elva MK IV Sports Racer
    1961 Ginetta G4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Came out great, Simon, and looks just as good as when Barbara Walters did the photo shoot on Tavern on the Green:

1-758x1024.jpg

Not every 100 needs to be an "M" to be beautiful.

Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Oritt View Post

Another might be that most folks who are willing to fork over the big bucks for a restoration from Fourintune feel it is better spent on an M which have a higher value than a non-M car.
    Hee Hee! Mine is one of the 1500 however!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by simon1966 View Post
    Hee Hee! Mine is one of the 1500 however!
    Yes, of the orignal 640, only 1,500 still survive. And more seem to "be found" all the time!

I succumbed myself to the lure of a louvered bonnet for my BN2 many years ago. It really is off one of the 640 - a car that was written off - and I've kept the original bonnet for reinstallation someday. I would put it back on now, but I hesitate because I'm afraid of what it would do to the operating temp.

I guess with the "smooth bonnet" installed I could crack it open up to the safety catch, like they did for the 1953 Le Mans. I suppose that that produces an effect similar to having a louvered bonnet, but it would be a drag for everyone to keep telling you that "your hood is open."
    Reid Trummel
    Editor, HEALEY MARQUE magazine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Reid, I was referring to the 1500 right hand drive 100's that were believed to have been made. I don't think anyone knows for sure how many were RHD, but this is the number I have seen in the past. I think this was derived from the build records for home market cars and cars sent to Australia and NZ. Thus a factory original RHD car is a bit of a rarity in its own right. Not the cachet of a M though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was referring to the 1500 right hand drive 100's that were believed to have been made
    I have one of the even rarer RHD cars that is still in the UK. Saw an estimate somewhere that around 600 were produced for the home market. Don't know how many are left now and I can't remember where I got that figure from.
    Steve K.
    '55 BN1/225574

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There can only be a few hundred left. Seeing how rotten mine was after it had spent 30 years in Essex and then Manchester made me realize how ill equipped these cars were to deal with the UK weather. When I moved to the USA back in 87 this poor car just hung out in a lock up outside London for several years before I shipped it over. With the restoration I had it taken back to as close to original as possible. Based on information from the registries etc. I suspect that there are only about 500 original RHD cars left in the world. A bunch of them are in Australia/NZ where they have taken to converting LHD imported from the US to RHD. Your UK based right hooker is probably one of only a couple of hundred at the most. For now mine is in the USA, but suspect it will eventually find its way back home at some point.

20171120_141734.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/make/a...y#!manufacture

Here are the actual numbers of cars in the UK based on registrations....

1953 24
    1954 92
    1955 124
    1956 77

For a total estimate of 317

There are some 100-6 in the 56 number presumably and this total does not include unregistered cars that are just sitting in a garage not on the database. It also would include a few 100S cars that are left in the UK. So the 500 estimate for global RHD 100 survivors does not seem unreasonable. 1/3 of the total made survive. The other assumption is that all the cars currently registered in the UK are RHD. I think it is likely, but there must be a few LHD cars in among this lot, and presumably some conversions from LHD.
    Last edited by simon1966; 11-23-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Beautiful car. Panel fitment appears to be perfect. I have a BN2--one of the 640--and, of course, I am very fond of it, but I have to admit I like the lines of this car where the 'character' line, if continued, would intercept the tangent of the wheel arch. When they increased the wheel well size they didn't know what to do with the line on two-tone cars, so they just curled it around before intercepting the wheel well (which would have looked even more awkward).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks Bob. I think that panel fit is something that Fourintune really focus on. The care and attention to detail as they worked on the substructure, constantly checking panel fit. For what it is worth, they do not install the engine and drive train at all during this process, having come up with their own methods of ensuring it is all good at the end.