• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Trying to find out an interior dimension

Daves1957TR-3

If there are any T series owners out there -

What is the max dimension in inches from the brake pedal to the front edge of the seat? And what is the depth in inches of the seat? Do the seats have much adjustment? I am trying to figure out if I can fit.

Cheers, Dave

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Dave - I'll check tomorrow when the rain stops.

Do you mean distance from brake pedal to front of seat when the seat is pushed back as far as possible?

Also, do you mean the depth of the seat from the front upper edge to the bottom of the back rest?

I'm 5'10" and have no problem with leg room at all - but there's very little space for your left foot when it's not on the clutch. That's a very narrow space down there.

Here's a closeup of that pedal area.

td-drivers-floor-and-hump.jpg

OP
D

Daves1957TR-3

Yes on both. Thanks!

Wow, you are right, not much width there. Is the TC the same?

Cheers, Dave

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The TC is a little worse if I remember correctly. I'm 6'1" with pretty big feet (13 wide) and I've tried fitting in TC, TD, and TF and I don't fit. Latest try was a friend's TF which is supposed to be the roomiest of the bunch. I could sit in it and get the door closed, but my right knee and the shifter occupied the same space. With shoes on there was no way I could do the pedals independently either.

That said, I fit in a Bugeye Sprite just fine. My best advice is to see if anyone near you would allow you to sit in one. We're all shaped a bit differently so it's best to just get in one.

Good luck!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Here you go:

Distance from brake pedal to front seat (seat pushed as far back as possible): 20 inches

Distance across top of seat (front to back): 19 inches.

Hope this helps. I'd suggest you find someone near Rockville with a T, and give it a try. Maybe MGs of Baltimore?

https://www.mgsofbaltimore.org/

Tom M.

OP
D

Daves1957TR-3

Thanks Tom and Drew! I think you confirmed what I suspected. Too bad, I really have loved the T Series looks all my life, especially the TC and prior. But I am about 6' 3" and weigh on the north side of 260. I did try getting in a TC when I was about 22. I was an inch taller but about 75 lbs lighter and I was able to get in but my right knee kept the door from closing! Sigh. I can barely fit into the TR3. My stepson is taking it back to TX in a year and am thinking about replacing it. So no T series, maybe an MGA? I think the TR4 is roomier as well.

Thanks Dave

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
TR4 is very similar to the TR3 -- length isn't an issue but it's a very narrow car. I had one briefly, always felt slammed up against the door. TR6 is the same way.

I sat in a friend's MGA once, it was too tight for me. Biggest issue I has was with dealing with my natural snowshoes. 13eeee feet don't mix well with British cars. Surprisingly enough my Bugeye has adequate space.

Roomiest I've been in are the Spitfire and MGB. MGB is probably the roomiest, I still have room to put the seat back farther than my normal driving position. Lots of room in the footwell as well. I tried a modern Miata once and my MGB has more space.

Like you I love the look of the T-series cars. I've tried a couple times to fit, but it's not in the cards for me. Still, worth finding one you can try out. Everyone's body dimensions are different, as is the level of our desire to fit in the car. :grin:

OP
D

Daves1957TR-3

Thanks Drew I will look further. My feet are only 12D but I still have to wear a pair of tight fitting Vans to have enough space in the TR foot area. But it's manageable. I measure 43 inches from pedal to seatback in my TR, about an inch more than spec. If I could get 44 or 45 that would be ideal. I have seen a drawing for the TR4 that shows up to 46 max, which may include some pedal adjustment. I am built like a taller version of Raymond Burr so that will be the limiting factor. I can lose weight but not inches in height!

Cheers, Dave