• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Maps of the Warwick works and the Cape of Good Hope Pub

magman

Country flag
Having done research for a visit to Warwick to see the site of the Healey works known as the Cape I now have some information to share that others might find both useful and interesting. As I suppose most fans know, the original building has been taken down but part of the buildings they used still remain.JME Healeys owner Jonathan Everard bought one of the original buildings for his business as the following shows:

J.m.e Healeys

All classic cars for sale listed below are offered for sale by J.M.E Healeys, Warwickshire, United Kingdom. Jonathan Everard, the founder of JME Healeys served his apprentiship with the Donald Healey Motor Company at Warwick in the early 60s. He developed his knowledge of the 'Big Healeys' over the next four decades whilst restoring, maintaining and rallying these superb cars. Jon's passion for the car prompted him to establish JME Healeys in 1978 and, for over 30 years now, J.M.E has been dedicated to the restoration and preservation of this quintessentially British sports car. JME is now based in one of the original Donald Healey Company workshops at the Cape in Warwick. The company is now run by Jon's sons Chris & Dan who continue to offer a comprehensive restoration and competition preparation service on all Austin Healeys. The company has remained small, ensuring a personal service and strict quality control. We are renowned for our consistently high standards of craftsmanship.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The pub that gave the Healey works its nickname “The Cape” is still in operation and as the first overhead views show it was a short walk across a field towards the canal to get to it from the shop. I was pleased to see that the path Donald and his staff probably walked is still in evidence.
The center white building of the three in the foreground is JME’s location and I don’t know but guess the larger building to the left of it would also have been part of the Healey works. To its left must then be the site of the demolished building.
Somewhere out there is the buried engine from the Bonneville car! The Pub is at the top of the picture across the grass field

The second view shows the pub from the front and JME is the center building upper left by the red containers.

Third image is the map from the JME web page which shows the street names for anyone lucky enough to get to visit Warwick and wishes to visit the site and perhaps enjoy a pint at the Cape of Good Hope while enjoying the feeling of being on hallowed ground.

I should mention that google maps identified the wrong building as JME .

20171106_082140 (2).jpg 20171106_075357_001.jpg 20171106_082328.jpg

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks magman. I've been there myself and it's special to stand and reflect on the history of the people and cars as you walk the ground.

It's been a long time, but I recall that there was a plaque in the Cape of Good Hope pub to the effect that members of the Donald Healey Motor Company used to frequent the place. By all means, have a pint (or two) there.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
G'day magman,
Thanks for posting this. Which buried Bonneville engine would you be referring to?

catfood

Jedi Knight
I'm off to JME's tonight after work to book my car in for the external bodywork to be fitted and painted. I always learn something from my visits, usually at least half a dozen cars in various stages of restoration to study! They've recently bought the next door shop which gives them a lot more room to work with so the Google maps pointer is correct now!

OP
magman

magman

Country flag
The buried engine is from the Special Test car that went 3,000 miles at 104.19 on September 15th and 16th 1953. It suffered a broken rod and after examining it and removing useful parts Geoffrey and Roger buried it "on some waste ground in Warwick"

OP
magman

magman

Country flag
I am interested in finding out the location of the residence of DMH while he was living in or near Warwick. I understand it may be demolished but I still am interested in the address. If anybody knows I would appreciate their input. I received the following information recently from another source but I find it a bit confusing so feel free to chime in with your understanding of what is being said. My brain might just be getting old. Well, actually it is.

DMH never lived in Warwick. He lived in Leamington Spa, which is the next door town to Warwick. His house was called ‘Perranporth’, and ours was called ‘Droskyn’, which is the name of the cliffs on Perranporth beach. When Donald moved back to Cornwall, to live at Trebah, he sold Droskyn, and they bought Perranporth, They lived there for about the next ten years. Droskyn is still there, but sadly Perranporth was demolished about four years ago, and now has an apartment block on it.