• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Restart button

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
ER visit Monday morning and sent to ICU. Blood Pressure unstable. 252/182. This was followed by continuous drip to bring it down. Took about 5-6 hours and put me into full blown anxiety. Tuesday found almost an entire med change. I had been having for 3 weeks Metoprolol which wasn’t working. Saw I think 3 PA’s all of whom attempted to follow the same meds and just changed dosages. I told each of them that the Metoprolol wasn’t working and it fell on deaf ears. Thereafter Doug demanded that I be seen by a cardiologist. I have been under the care of the same cardiac group for 20 years and my last Cardiologist left December of last year so no assigned Cardiologist. Then Doug said he wanted me to be seen same day by my surgeon. Long story short same day appointment and 2 diuretics removed immediately, one high strength removed and no one seems to know who prescribed it. Now know or educated guess as to what happened, another long story.

So after major changes in meds, I was discharged Saturday. Got home and with Doug’s help bathed and washed my hair and was treated to real pajamas and freshly made bed. I thought I was in heaven. Its been over 24 hours and all seems stable. I am grateful and believe I am finally on the road to good health.

It’s been a long time being bed ridden and I now have additional problems added to the original problem to overcome. I will have to ween myself off of the oxygenation and building muscle again. I will persevere and it is now my job to get will, stop with the all about Judy mindset and see how I can let Doug know how grateful I am for having such a good man as my husband.

P.S. The best news is I do NOT need a valve replacement. Final decision and documented by 2 cardiologists after collaboration.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Glad you were able to see someone higher up the chain than a PA (No offense to PAs, but sometimes you just have to go to the top!

Very glad to hear you don't need a valve replacement also. Just keep taking it easy and continue to get better!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Can't imagine going through what you and Doug have. But as Basil said, glad you're on the mend!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Good News! you remain in our prayers. As an aside, I don't know how people navigate the medical system any longer without an advocate. and without a willingness to kick b*tt when necessary.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP - is the medical system in Canada (Ontario) as complicated, convoluted, and frustrating as the one Judy describes?

Yes but different.

In many ways the most frustrating thing about the USA system is trying to make sense of and coordinate all the various providers/ hospitals/ practices etc.

Canada is the opposite but equally frustrating because with only one provider if you don't fit the "system" it can be crazy hard to navigate.

That said I would suggest that the real issue on both sides of the border is often arrogance that comes with specialized knowledge combined with the lack of time or ability to listen combined with systems that are chronically underfunded or unresponsive to current realities. (is that tactful enough?)

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Glad to hear that things are getting better. Let's hope it stays that way! All best wishes.

Keith

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sad to hear your recent story but happy that it seems to be getting corrected for a change. Makes me really thankful that I have a GP and cardiologist that truly take the time to listen and both are truly dedicated to their work.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hope each day brings you closer to a full and speedy recovery.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
It used to be ''suffer in silence", then "suffer with grace". Now it is "the squeaky wheel that gets the grease". Keep on squeaking. Get well soon! :cheers: elrey

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:iagree: I'm with elray's "second thought".

OP
judow

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Yes but different.

In many ways the most frustrating thing about the USA system is trying to make sense of and coordinate all the various providers/ hospitals/ practices etc.

Canada is the opposite but equally frustrating because with only one provider if you don't fit the "system" it can be crazy hard to navigate.

That said I would suggest that the real issue on both sides of the border is often arrogance that comes with specialized knowledge combined with the lack of time or ability to listen combined with systems that are chronically underfunded or unresponsive to current realities. (is that tactful enough?)

You have it spot on. After my experience and not having had a hospitalization in 46 years I could write a tome on the healthcare system of today. It all starts with a not for profit and a for profit facility and lack of communication. Etc, etc,etc.

i am grateful for Douglas being there to be my advocate. I never thought I wouldn’t be able to take a stand for myself as usually I stand strongly for what is my belief. But then I never was too sick to be able to do anything.

OP
judow

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
I am very strong mentally now and there is no doubt that I will get better but it might take me longer than I had originally thought.

I am uplifted by you heartwarming comments.

Thanks, it’s a real big deal to feel cared about.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I am very strong mentally now and there is no doubt that I will get better but it might take me longer than I had originally thought.

It WILL take longer - we are pretty much all to the point in our lives where we just can't shake this off like we used to. A former doctor used to always say, "when you get to our age..."

Be patient and don't overdo it - especially as holiday stuff starts, mentally prepare yourself for it to take a year before you really feel yourself again.