• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A My Trim journey.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I ordered all the trim for my TR3A back at the end of May from John Skinner in the UK.

It arrived last week and when I got back in town I got to check it out. It looks great.
Very well packed in 2 large boxes and everything was well labeled so it was easy to check that everything was there.

It is going to be a while before I am ready to do any trim work on the car but I can work on the seats when it is too cold to work in the shop.
Got new seat springs that look almost exactly like my old ones except there are less spring coils but they are thicker. Think I will at least prime the springs before I cover them.

David
Trim arrives.jpg
Open box.jpg
Seat springs.jpg
Seat springs in seat frame.jpg
Seat springs comparison.jpg

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Very nice!

Cheers
Tush

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I will.

Off to Hobby Lobby for the first layer of material.

I found the drawing for the plywood base for the rear seat.

David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Got my trim table done and I have primed the seat springs.

Hope to keep the table clear for trim work. It will have a shelf to keep TR parts handy.

David

table.jpg

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have one of those work tables also, with a shelf. It accumulates crap. You have to make yourself clean it off once a month. But they sure are useful during the project. Good luck with your trim, should look great.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Springs all primed and ready to go.
Strange that we prime them and our cars will probable never be left out in the rain but originally no primer or paint and some TRs lived outside all year in the UK.
Started the Burlap layer. A curved needle will come in handy.
primed seat springs.jpg
seat with burlap.jpg
David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Got the Burlap on both seat spring assemblies. My sowing is not as neat as John's. Will have to take a good look at his seat covering thread to see how the next steps go. Thank you John for the great guide.

I have cut the rear seat ply to a drawing supplied in a different thread but it seems the foam padding is either too thick or a little too large. Unless the cover has to be stretched a lot more than I realized.

David

Burllap sown on.jpg
Is the Foam pad too big.jpg

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hard to tell from the photo, but your plywood might be too thick. I used either 1/8" or 3/16" ply for my seat back & the
thinnest cotton batting I could find & had no problems with the "stretch"
Frank

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Looking at the seat covers I notice that the sides are almost parallel not tapered towards the back. The seat springs are about 1 1/2" narrower at the back so I would think the seat cover should be the same. It will leave a lot of filling at the back and will not fit the seat pan very well. Could it be a TR4 seat?

I will be e mailing J. Skinner about that and the size of the rear seat base.

David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have some photos of the seat cover issue that I have run into.

The cover is 18 1/2" at the first front horizontal seam from white piping to white piping and 18 1/4" at the 6th seam from the front measured in the same way.
Could anyone with a TR4 measure their seat cover for comparison.
The old seat I have tapers about 1 1/2" at the same point and fits the springs with little extra padding. Also these sreat covers will not be a good fit in the seat pans.

David
Full seat with tape.jpg
Seat with tape measure.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Is that picture with the cover on the springs or just laid out on the table? If it is on the springs, it doesn't look too far off. If you pull the sides around the bottom does the piping roll around with them?

On the factory job the horse hair and batting rolls around the top of the springs and goes down the sides a couple of inches. This has the act of spreading the cover another 3/8" or so past the width of the springs.

Edit:

Here are a couple pics. Although of the TR2 seat, they do show the affect of the extra padding around the edges, and the long straight on the sides of the seat cushions:

UkynaZD.jpg

Jx4ZhGF.jpg

SpG1ZAc.jpg

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello John

Your springs in the first photo look almost parallel. May be the photo effect giving that illusion. Mine have at least 1" taper.

Seems that the rear seat board may board I have may be an inch to short and a little too narrow. Also I have the cutout for the diff bump in the floor. Jonathan said in his reply to expect to compress the foam at least 3/4".

David