• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

100-4 rear fenders

rezqu44

Freshman Member
Country flag
As I continue to bring batches of parts to my house from my fathers old workshop I am coming across several questions, some answered with further digging, some not.

Today's question is in regards to the rear fenders:

What is the appropriate rear fender or which is for which(BN1/2)?

I have a set that have the body accent line stopping at the wheel arch with the fender being smooth after and a set that have the body accent line before and after the wheel arch.

Still attempting to identify more on the car itself (chassis/body #s etc) which will have to wait until the car is in my own garage, hopefully next weekend, it will be the last thing to leave his workshop.

Thank you for any info you may have, especially with limited info on my end!

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The fenders with no swage line are earlier vehicles. I don't know without looking in my library where the switch came in terms of BN1/BN2 vin numbers but I'm sure someone will chime in. I cant recall where I read but I recall someone saying that some intermediate cars may have been delivered with one of each; at least that's the story. Gotta use up your inventory and you can't easily see both sides at once if at all. How'd you like to plunk down your hard earned $3800.00 for a new one and not notice for a couple of weeks.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I believe the break is at the model change--that is, BN1's have the smaller front wheel opening and no swedge in the rear fender aft of the wheel opening whereas BN2's have a slightly larger front wheel opening with the swedge line running to the rear of the car.

As with all rules for Austin-Healeys there were apparently exceptions and I recall someone saying that one of the fenders on his BN1 had the swedge line leaded in, though it is entirely possible that the fender was replaced with one from a later car, etc. etc.

Country flag
John Wheatley was an original owner that later discovered he had one of each.

The real dilemma only started decades later when he restored the car, what to do; correct the mismatch, but which type would be wrong?

In the end, the car was restored back to its original configuration, mismatched fenders and all!

You've got to love Healeys and their owners :cheers:

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I can understand John's decision and feel that having matching fenders is overrated--kind of like obsessing on having one's sideburns the same length when in fact you can usually only see one at a time.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My July '54 built 100 had one of each with the recess filled so they matched. I assumed that at some time one of the panels had been replaced. I also had a dilemna to deal with at the time of restoration, in the end the swage was deleted.
My understanding is that early BN2s did not have the swage and that it was introduced at some time during that model's production run. The 100S has a swage but it is different from the BN2 and later models.

OP
R

rezqu44

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for the info all, looks like I need to dig a bit and get the numbers and see where she falls... Or just decide which set is worth saving as both have their issues!!!!