• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

11-11-11

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Speaking of all being brothers, here's a photo of US troops celebrating the Armistice, ending hostilities in The War To End All Wars. The eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, 1918.

64th regiment.jpg

Thank you, veterans of *all* our military.

Tom M.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:thumbsup:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Doesn't mention the wing K. Benson was with but that's an Air Force F-4. Tail number would help. Guessing 8th TFW, Ubon.

Searching for info, came upon this, great assessment of the bird by a Raptor pilot, and funny!

https://www.keytlaw.com/f-4/page/4/

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The tail designation on the F-4 in that photo: "OY 269" and in another shot it has an "HS" designation. I believe if "OY" it would have flown out of Udorn, Thailand. The 8th TFW out of Ubon had FG and FA tails, mostly, IIRC. I'd have to do a lot more digging to be sure. I've a couple photos of Ubon birds in Maintenance hangars, both "FA" tails.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
An interesting aside, this ran in the local news rag: Generational service.

Interesting. In a related manner. First off, pretty much every church I go into has a plaque to those who have given their lives in service - World Wars I & II. Here in Toronto we have two churches in particular that have enormous WWI lists - one of them lists their war dead by year (which I hadn't seen before) IIRC over 100 young men from the same church! Admittedly it was a very large church in the day, but, I suspect there was something about the neighbourhood itself - not the richest but not the poorest either. Likely sufficiently "British" to have stronger ties to the home country - maybe peer pressure, I don't know but, the churches in that area far and away have the longest lists.

Coming to Veteran Day sales - this phenomenon does not exist noth of the border - there are a few attempts but they never get much traction. OTOH my daughter was in the grocery store at 11am and my sister in Home Depot - both stores stopped for a moment of silence - announced it and shut down the cash registers for a few minutes. I was encouraged.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
" ...my daughter was in the grocery store at 11am and my sister in Home Depot - both stores stopped for a moment of silence - announced it and shut down the cash registers for a few minutes. "

JP - that is a great tradition. I wish we'd do that here in the USA.

Regarding Canadian/USA traditions, on a slightly-related tack:

Country flag
I have at home a pipe that came down through my father's mother's family that is hand engraved on the side, "I.E. Meyers 11-11-11-18 Verdun 81st Div" Was an Uncle I believe of mt grandmother.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
I am so grateful for the Veterans in my life, both still with us and those not with House.

I am especially proud of 2 vets that are in our family. WWII vets, my dad-in-law Chester Wrobel and my uncle-in-law Charles Wrobel.

Chester survived his tour, Charlie did not. Chester’s biggest regret was that he never got to see his brother after they both joined up together. He also never got to visit his grave. Uncle Charlie survived the Bataan Death March only to die in the camp. Somehow I know Uncle Charle knew what Chester was feeling.