• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A 3.45 Diff ratio?

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
I always get this confused. Would this Diff be good for better acceleration or better top end if replacing a 3.7 Diff with no overdrive? :encouragement:

gecoughenour

Country flag
Better top end. The gear ratio is how many times the propeller shaft, i.e, the engine (unless your clutch is slipping badly) turns for each revolution of the axle shaft. In fourth gear, the axle would turn 1000 RPM at 3450 RPM engine speed versus 3700 RPM engine speed with the 3.7 ring and pinion.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Yes, but you will pull longer in each gear. More noticeable might be earlier downshifts when pulling uphill. Fair trade off, IMO, for losing a couple of hundred rpm at speed. Mostly speculation on my part as I still have the 3.7:1 Tom

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have been using the 3.45 gears now for more than 5 years in the TR3&4. The only slowing of acceleration would be seen in a racing situation. When I am street driving and get a green light I am no slower than my friend with his TR6. As I am following him in this situation. He slows to shift to second and I have to back off because I am still accelerating in first. The big disadvantage is on a hill. I do have to change to a lower gear sooner. Another disadvantage is in following my fellow TR's downhill. When using the gears to retard speed I have to brake more often if following another TR.
The actual speed increase in fifth gear (I use a Toyota 5 speed) is about 3-4 mph.
My overall feeling is that I do like them but don't feel it is worth the cost of switching. If you need to replace a 3.7 then this is a viable alternative.
Charley

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Ok help me out here, but please do not laugh or laugh in your coffee and have it come out your noise. Anyways, I thought those ratios were the number of teeth on the ring and pinion like for example 37 teeth on the ring and 10 teeth on the pinion. Would be a 37 to 10 or 3.7 to 1.0
steve

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ok help me out here, but please do not laugh or laugh in your coffee and have it come out your noise. Anyways, I thought those ratios were the number of teeth on the ring and pinion like for example 37 teeth on the ring and 10 teeth on the pinion. Would be a 37 to 10 or 3.7 to 1.0
steve
Actually that is correct. So 3.45 to 1 would be 34.5 to 10....wonder about the 1/2 tooth?:playful:

parkerg1

steve
Actually that is correct. So 3.45 to 1 would be 34.5 to 10....wonder about the 1/2 tooth?:playful:

I could be all wet, but I believe the 3.45 is 11 and 38 tooth..