Thread: Brake caliper question

Luke Skywalker
    Chats

Brake caliper question

Can someone tell me how the piston dust covers go on? Does the lip go toward the piston or face the pads? How are they held in place? Thanks for your help.Kevin

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Re: Brake caliper question

The lip fits into the groove at the top of the cylinder in the caliper. You need to fit the bottom or lip portion of the dust cover into the groove and then push the piston down into the caliper. You are not likely to get it the first time.
    Charley

Just did mine you have to push the piston down first when you put the wire clip in you have to start at the bottom where that lip is in order to hold it in place

Chats

There are 2 versions of calipers..The early 16P did not have the spring clip...Around 72 or 73 the 16PB was inroduced which did have a spring clip boot retainer.
    DRIVE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM

Chats

If the non-clip type is the same as used on the TR3 & 4 (and I believe it is) I get the boot onto the piston by blocking the opposite piston hole, installing the boot and resting the piston to be installed centered on top of it. I then introduce modest air pressure into the caliper thru an old brake hose (bleeder closed) and the boot lightly inflates and 'wants' to pop up around the piston. Helps to have everything a bit wet with brake fluid.

First one make take a couple of tries (a special wiggle is involved) but soon they pop on in a second. A helper to control the air is useful.

Chats

Having been in the caliper rebuilding business in another life, we used to install the boot around the piston first. Push it down toward the bottom, and then wiggle the lip of the boot into the groove in the caliper. The groove has to bee scrupulously clean. Usually rust gets in there which prevents easy entry of the boot lip. A machinist's scribe or similar can be used to scrape around the groove to get all the junk out. Even after glass beading or blasting some stuff still might remain. Liberal use of some sort of lube (we had special slick stuff) or brake fluid helps.

Here's a video on how we did it...start at the 4:00 minute mark.

Art
    '58 TR3A TS236xxL
    '92 Mazda Miata -- Supercharged
    '07 Mazda RX-8
    '11 Mazda CX-7

Chats

Slick - I'll try that way next time.

Either way it is a good feeling when the piston suddenly finds that sweet spot and slips in. Good idea too that you pulled it back out a few times to be sure everything seated correctly.

Luke Skywalker
    Chats

Thanks for the help. I rebuilt the front end a number of years ago, but apparently did not put the dust covers on correctly. I have the older type caliper that fits in the grove without a clip, but I had failed to pull it up over the piston.
    Kevin